Gymboree - Gymboree is a company filled with opportunities. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

"Gymboree is a company filled with opportunities."

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience, Gymboree has a very open and accepting atmosphere. The managers strive to ensure that the sales staff is fully trained and able to interact with customers effectively. There are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The stores rely heavily on customer surveys, so if you do not work often, it could affect your performance. Many customers are focused on sales and promotions, so there are some downtimes when very few customers shop because of a lack of promotions.

Advice to Management

It would be great if store associates could give feedback on how various items in the store are selling. At times, our store would receive an excess amount of one particular style that was not selling.

Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree

"Do Not Even Think About Working Here!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The relationships formed with the customer, the pleasure of making them happy with their purchases and watching the children grow up.

Cons

This could possibly be the most poorly run, disrespectful, out-of-touch-with-reality company that I have ever worked for. Stores are expected to run on about 120 hr/week and provide "legendary" service. Most times, this is single coverage, where you are expected to deal with reams of repetitive paper work, tasks and service the customer all at the same time while you are alone. It is no wonder that the list of "target" or high theft stores is pages long. Did I mention the POS systems that are prehistoric and make the poor customer wait forever? Or the policy that only 1 register operates until the line grows longer than 5 people? Just think what that customer's survey will sound like. The expectation is that anything under a 90% on these surveys is failing. Yet, the company sets us up to fail and wonders why the service survey scores are so low?
    The DM is in over her head and thinks she knows everything. She is quite good at spouting policy and procedure and writing you up for every little thing that you do not accomplish from the list of endless expectations. There are no gray areas and if you cross the line you incur the wrath and get written up. Yet, the favorites move up the ladder, leaving a mess behind them that their replacement is held accountable for. The company talks about "values", but they do not value anything except the almighty dollar. I have never been talked to in such a condescening manner. They need to stop treating people like they are stupid. Try to have a weekend off, or take a vacation. Requests are often refused, even when requested months in advance. They even dictate which days of the week you can or cannot take off. Off course, none of this is truthfully conveyed during the hiring process and is chalked up to "the needs of the business" if you dare to question.
    The quality of employees and their loyalty to the job if the worst I have seen anywhere. You get what you pay for and Gymboree pays nothing. Nor do they think twice about demoting you if payroll dictates the need. Why would an employee want to provide open availability for 20hrs/wk?
    Why would anyone want to work for Gymboree except to have a paycheck while the look for something else!

Advice to Management

You need to get out into the stores unannounced and see what reality is - not go when managers have been forced to spend countless uncompensated hours cleaning up what is the usual mess so that their superiors look good. You need to reevaluate costs so that more payroll can be allocated to provide the level of service you demand. And lastly, you need develop a plan to liquidate all of the inventory sitting in back rooms - losing value and crippling productivity. This is perhaps the worst business move ever - maybe an online clearance - think of the money you would make instead of letting it sit boxed up like trash for years losing value.
    Lastly, you need to start treating the employees you have in the stores with respect and make them want to work there.

"store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great discount
    average salary
    get to kids grow and you truly make friends with your core customer and team

Cons

I worked for this company for over 10 years and it was great in the beginning but has slowly gone down hill. Over 6 different DMs. Micro managed to the max!!!!!! My most recent DM treated all of us as if we were literally children making us repeat things she just said as if we didn't get it the first time. This was totally humiliating and degrading.
    Multi-tasking is a UNDERSTATMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No hours!!!!!!! I could go on and on and give millions of reasons not to work here, however the children and great customers really kept me there for so many years!

Advice to Management

Quit micro-manageing!!!! Let your store managers be creative!! That is one of the company values!