Gymboree - Worst year of my life. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

"Worst year of my life."

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Building great relationships with customers and their children.

Cons

There are so many cons to working for this company. I'll list the ones that bothered me the most.

- Tasking. I have worked for many retail stores. I have never met a store that has such unrealistic expectations for tasking. New line after new line. The same day as you processing 4000 brand new units they expect you to markdown 4000 old units. All while flip flopping the store to make room for that new line.

- Payroll. They give the bare minimum hours to run a store. Store Managers are salaried which means as a SM you will end up working over 60 hours a week often. How else is a new line going to be completed? How else are those markdowns going to be completed? What about sign changes? It always made me laugh when I would get payroll for the following week and see the extra .50 they would give me for markdowns and replenishment boxes. Last Christmas my base 117 hour a week payroll got bumped up to 120. Even with the extended mall hours. Working countless hours alone on the sales floor is ridiculous. Good luck if you ever have to go to the bathroom or eat. Breaks? Lunches? Yeah right.

- Let's talk about the ridiculous amounts of merchandise that goes into the backroom to die. It rarely sees the light of day after it hits the backroom. The backroom was not large enough for the amount of product that got shoved back there because there was literally no place to put it on the floor. How this company actually makes money is beyond me.

- Speaking of product, how many colors and patterns can you make the same dress or skirt or cotton shorts? The new lines that they insist on sending you every other week always has the same product in it that you already put out. Just because a dress has the same bird or dog that they use over and over again that never sold at full price doesn't mean they need to send that same dress with a horse on it. Also, no little girl in a size 12 wants to wear the clothes. Stop at size 6 or 8.

- Most stores will only have a part time Assistant Manager. Who they will pay very poorly. Good luck ever filling that position or keeping it filled. Once they understand they will only get 20 hours a week, no benefits, and see the amount of work required they usually bolt. Can't blame them. The Sales Leads get maybe 10 hours a week so good luck keeping them on staff. Your Sales Associates get maybe 3 hours a week. Again good luck keeping them on staff.

- Customers actually pay less for the clothing than employees. Employee discounts are a joke.

Advice to Management

Start giving your stores the proper tools to run a successful business. Stores need more payroll. Stores need full time Assistant Managers. Stop sending new line after new lines. Stop making it impossible for stores to keep up their backroom. Stop sitting on merchandise for years. You're losing money. Spend a day in a Store Managers shoes on new line. Stop wearing your employees so thin and not hearing their cries. You will always have a high turn over rate because your company is a joke. I would love to see Undercover Boss spend a week in a Gymboree on a new line week, big red balloon, and just for fun inventory week.

Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree

1. "great place to build experience but just ok."

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great people
    - snack time
    - great location

Cons

- too many levels of communication
    - approval takes too long in a fast paced environment

Advice to Management

Recognize when you are spreading workers too thin

"Don't Stick Around In Hopes of Moving To Corporate!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Fun employees
    - Interacting with customers (If they're nice, of course!)
    - Great support system (Depending on your staff)

Cons

- No interest in moving up store managers to corporate positions
    - Bad hours
    - Poor management
    - It's retail!
    - Working alone in stores for long periods based on minimal hour allocation

Advice to Management

I was with the company for 5 years and can honestly say they do not hire iternally for corporate positions. Within my years at Gymboree, they consistently "milked" employees just so they can stick around, making them feel that they have "strong potential" to move up into corporate. It's really sad to see managers that I looked up to work so hard yet consistently get persuaded into staying in the stores in hopes of a corporate career. I know so many managers, including myself, that have stuck around and never managed to make corporate based on poor follow-ups and primarily lack of initiative to promote employees working their stores. It's much easier to apply to a corporate position if you are not already an employee. The employee turnover rate is very high, district managers need to work one on one with ensuring managers, as well as sales associates, are properly trained. The company should really focus on promoting managers that have worked hard in the stores, not take them for granted.