Gymboree - A mixed feelings about this company.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

"A mixed feelings about this company...."

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Logistics Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the clothes and the warm family feelings.
I was in a very good team and the people around me are very kind and nice to each other.
Basically, it is a good company with a lot of nice and easy going people.

Cons

We have 4 C Level and numerous of VP level changes during 2013.

Sr. leadership are so focused on getting their numbers right and forget about how to run a company in a long run. No long term investments in people, system and infrastructures.

The processes in my department is somewhat ancient and the manager there is not willing to take the steps to improve without TOP DOWN pressure.

A lot of other middle managers are being with the company so long and not willing to adapt changes. However, the Sr. leadership are changing like crazy and it will take quite sometime to get the new elements in the Mid Level managers.

Advice to Management

Be more generous to your staffs who paid 50+ hours a week to keep the lights "ON" for the company. Almost all the people I know around me are underpaid in the SF market.

Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree

"Overworked and mostly screwed over."

Current Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder
    Current Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes I get to leave early if we are over on hours.

Cons

No holiday pay for workers who sometimes work over 40 hrs a week but are considered "part-time". Unreliable management. Lots of gossip and politics between upper management leaving a horrible example for the rest of the employees. Most of the company and individual store goals are unreasonably 'high' for the kind of resources we are given. Company is definitely confused if they think legendary service is bugging customers every 5 minutes if they want to buy something.

Advice to Management

Be up front and genuine with coworkers. Realize that some of the expectations are way too high for this company. Also, reevaluate your legendary customer service... because it's a joke.

2. "The hours were awful. I'd usually get about 5 hours a week because they'd call me and tell me not to come in."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, MN

I worked at Gymboree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with kids is always fun, and my coworkers were awesome. We always had a lot of fun at work, which is a huge plus. I just wish I had actually worked there a decent amount of hours each week.

Cons

I had terrible hours and I wasn't the only one, as most of my coworkers were in the same boat. There is also a lack of proper training in sales tactics, yet management is always pushing for more and more sales, even though most people don't want to spend an arm and a leg on clothes for their kids.

Advice to Management

Training in how best to talk to customers about the products and how to drive more sales would be highly beneficial for sales associates, most of whom are young and inexperienced in sales positions like this one. Working in a mall is difficult, so training and practice in figuring out how to best serve customers in that environment is key.