Gymboree - Don't even think about it | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

"Don't even think about it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Location is good, free coffee/drinks, friendly cafe staff, a lot of the worker bees (non-management) are great. 3% of managers and above are also great. Benefits (health/vision/dental) are about average but I'll still list this as a pro. Vacation time is not bad. Mark although not making wonderful decisions is a nice guy, so I am listing that as a pro as well. Overall HR team is nice. if you want to play political games to get ahead in title and pay, it isn't very hard. You don't even have to know how to do your job.

Cons

Management. Management. Management. Sorry, let's say this one more time: management. Executive team feels that there is no need to learn about the business and it is clear that the vast majority of VPs and higher have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Working there is similar to the Hunger Games and the politics at this stage are beyond tolerable levels. It's absolutely toxic. The Kardashian family has less drama than this place.

Training has never been great at Gymboree HQ and it is only getting worse. As more individuals resign the knowledge of processes and functions within the business continue to dwindle. I genuinely feel bad when people accept offers at the company.

Company has rebranded and "invested" in marketing to only change their tune a year or so later. Strategy from a brand perspective is non-existent. The plans to make money for the business are a joke. Fiscal results are still published and even if you are not a numbers person, please read them. Note the trends quarter after quarter.

Work/life balance can be really amazing or really awful. Some people have been working 9-5 (if that) for years, others work morning, noon, night, weekends, and holidays and still fall behind. This does not depend on the team or the title. There are individuals from both groups everywhere. It is mind blowing.

Advice to Management

Understand the business and the customer. Quit hyping up values once a quarter that do not exist. Talking out of both sides of your mouth will only accelerate the already faster than the speed of light pace of people resigning. Halt the competitions to scream over another VP and use the most four letter words in management meetings. It is killing. the. business. It is wasting good lower level talent.

Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree

"Low stress but little support"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This job is easy, you have no major stress if you are doing your job i.e. helping customers, meeting your goals, keeping your store visually appealing. Any good manager can manage those things. It's a fun environment to work in, interacting with the children and their family. But there is definitely opportunity to grow if you have a good district manager this is a great company to learn retail get management experience and then move on to BIGGER and BETTER!!

Cons

You will work many hours alone with no assistance, not due to the lack of employees, but the lack of hours your store is allowed to use per week. The turnover rate is very high for those who are not in management because there are no hours available. I could go on about issues but all of those issue go back to the lack of hours.

2. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and Easy! Great people to work with. Gymboree makes beautiful clothing so easy to sell. Discounts on clothing.

Cons

Gymboree still has old technology: old computers, old school registers and POS program, old school ways of doing markdowns. Never given extra hours for markdowns, marketing changes. I am always having to cut hours or work off the clock just to get things done. So many tasks but never enough time to do everything. Over worked and under paid. Customers get better discounts than us employees get.

Advice to Management

I wish that Management would realize how long it takes to do certain tasks and give us more hours to complete them without us working off the clock or cutting hours just to make payroll. I have associates quitting because pay is horrible and I can't give them the hours they would like.