H E B - Excellent Job for a student! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for H E B

"Excellent Job for a student!"

Former Employee - CSA/Checker in Harlingen, TX
Former Employee - CSA/Checker in Harlingen, TX

Pros

I worked there as a CSA and then a checker my Junior and Senior years of High School. Very easy to move from CSA to checker, a little bit longer if your'e after a management position. Everybody is nice and in my opinion you'll never have too difficult a task. The store is always bustling so it's hard to get bored.

Cons

Managers treat you like children. When I was leaving I gave a letter indicating my two weeks notice. I brought the matter up with my manager multiple times in those two weeks yet when my last day came around I checked the schedule and saw that I was scheduled for 20 hours the following week. I simply told my manager goodbye and left him to figure it out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but make sure even the small cogs are treated with the respect that they deserve.

Other Employee Reviews for H E B

1. "Good part time job for students."

Former Employee - Cashier/Deli/Seafood/Produce in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Deli/Seafood/Produce in Houston, TX

Pros

the best reason to work for H.E.B. is the incredibly flexible schedule

Cons

the company was fine, its just that being a cashier is just not that great of a job

Advice to Management

i would tell them to not micro manage everything

"Tragedy"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Corpus Christi, TX

Pros

Decent pay if you know how to negotiate and sell yourself. The environemnt is largely hostile to new ideas and as long as you maintain the status quo and do exactly as you are told, you will do fine. Sucking up to the right people, as in most jobs, is also critical. Unfortunately, this is also one of the great tragedies of HEB.

Too many people in top management are merely there because they have been there for a long time. I have seen some brilliant men be horn shoed out of their position in the effort of maintaining status quo....I guess I am suppose to be giving good reasons.

Cons

Horrid management, incompetence, lack of initiative and innovation, Status Quo mentality, arrogant top managers. It is rare to be acknowledged without making it blatantly obvious that you were responsible for something. There is no awareness of what employees are truly achieving. Its annoying that you have to be your own hero when you work your butt off for them, provide excellent customer service, and offer expertise. HEB has all the potential in the world to achieve, but seems to consistently squander it by not adapting or being open to new ideas or reaching out to appropriate markets. Too many top managers think they are god.

Advice to Management

Be open to ideas, stop being so pinche.