H.I.G. Capital - Opportunities and challenges that stem from the firms growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for H.I.G. Capital

"Opportunities and challenges that stem from the firms growth"

Former Employee - Associate in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

HIG has been growing rapidly over the past few years. The company has expanded into multiple new investment areas providing significant opportunity for growth and expansion. Although the company is not in a prime geography, they are able to attract strong team members from the top business schools, including many from HBS, Wharton, etc.

A key benefit of working for HIG is the opportunity to co-invest in their deals. Historically the funds have performed incredibly well and therefore have benefited those who invested. In some cases, the firm will provide a loan to enable an employee to invest more than they may have readily available.

Cons

The travel and work schedule can be grueling at times. With so many deals coming through the door there never seem to be enough bodies to handle the load. At times it can be challenging for the firm to retain younger candidates who do not have local ties to the region, especially when they are offered more compensation elsewhere.

As with any growing organization, there are challenges when building out the core team. Expanding into Hedge Funds, European Buyouts, Growth Equity, and other areas over the past three years has stretched the management. The small firm feel that once existed no longer pervades.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow aggressively, but take more actions to retain employees, including attempting to provide greater work/life balance, as well as increased pay.

Other Employee Reviews for H.I.G. Capital

1. "Great Scope but office politics rife...."

Former Employee - Administrative in Wimbledon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I worked at H.I.G. Capital (More than a year)

Pros

Loads of scope to progress. Flat structure. Great team vibe. Assistants values by all professionals.

Cons

Be prepared to play office politics. Can become very cliquey. Best to avoid all elements and stay neutral.

"Senior Analyst"

Pros

dynamic; entrepreneur environment; flat place

Cons

salary; focused on relationship; gossip; principals are not good

Advice to Management

meritocracy should be adopted