H&M - You can do well here if you really try | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for H&M

"You can do well here if you really try"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-There is lots of room to grow if you work hard.
-Good benefits if your store is in a union.
-Good discount

Cons

-Depends on who your coworkers are, but bad coworkers can ruin it for you.

Advice to Management

Train everyone again if needed. Don't depend on one person more than the next, especially if they're in the same position. It isn't fair to stress out your good employees because your bad ones don't work hard enough.

Other Employee Reviews for H&M

"Quick to promote, yet lots of stress"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Accepting corporate culture
    * Fun merchandize to work with
    * It's easy to get promoted if you're good. (I got promoted twice within 2 years and made more money then most people in my position)
    * Great insurance, paid birthday off.

Cons

* STRESS STRESS STRESS. High Stress level at H&M
    * Constant crunch for using less hours, which results in more stress for everyone because it's impossible to get the workload done in the amount of hours your District Controller will tell you you can use
    * The bonus used to be great, but not anymore. There's 3 really high requirements that you can't really effect, and barely anyone is meeting them
    * You only get 1 weekend a month off
    * No work/life balance
    * H&M promotes people who put in their 2 weeks notice because they don't want to get hit with turnover. This results in incompetent people being promoted

Advice to Management

Maybe Karl-Johan Persson needs to not be so greedy and start rewarding the people who do the actual work, in the store again. An incentive is not an incentive if there's no possibility for your staff to make it.

2. "Always busy, but not a bad experience."

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at H&M part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The starting pay is a couple of dollars above minimum, which is rare to find in retail. Even the part-time sales advisors are given a lot of freedom and responsibility. I learned to not only do the busy work, but also merchandise and set the floor whenever we changed seasons or promotions. It was cool that I actually got to learn something, and not just be a retail slave. There is also a lot of flexibility to move up in the company and transfer to other cities/states.

Cons

The store is always busy, and the work is constant. The store holds its employees to pretty high standards, but there is usually some incentive to work your hardest. Also, as with any retail job, customers were a pain. The environment of this store was worse than other retail stores I've worked at because it has such cheap items that people throw stuff around like it's Marshall's, but it also has some higher-end designer clothes that draw in a more snobby crowd.