H&R Block - Tax Specialist III | Glassdoor

"Tax Specialist III"

Current Employee - Tax Specialist III in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Tax Specialist III in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is great educational tool, employees gain a wealth of comprehensive knowledge on corporate concepts and tax theory. Team work with other tax professionals flows well to research issues that may arise.

Cons

The pay does not equal the knowledge required for the positions. Another con, Office Managers are a train-wreck in the offices, no manageral, marketing or tax skills.

Advice to Management

Company has been going down-hill in recent years. Managers of offices have no clue what they are doing and responding to clients with adverse advice or information making company look bad.

Other Employee Reviews for H&R Block

1. "This is a job one should only take on if earning money is not a priority."

Former Contractor - FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL in Tacoma, WA
    Former Contractor - FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL in Tacoma, WA

I worked at H&R Block as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Location operating hours allow for some play with your schedule - Many of the other tax pros are more than willing to answer your questions

Cons

Duties based on years with H&R Block, not years of experience prior to starting with company - Hours received are also based on years with H&R Block...first year working with the company means barely any hours.

Advice to Management

Tax pros should be looked at based upon their qualifications. Because I was a first year tax professional I was limited as to the types of returns I could complete. This frustrated me because I have a BA in accounting and had also done tax preparation with another organization prior to being hired at H&R Block.

"It's a job, but not a great job."

Former Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at H&R Block full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are several positives to working with Block. As a district manager, you set your own schedule, the benefits are good, you get to work with some very good people.

Cons

There is a very big disconnect between the corporate HQ and the field. The field doesn't believe HQ understands the challenges that occur with the client and for the most part they are correct. The corporate strategy has been continually trying to pull more work/production from the field for the same/less pay to drive up the stock price. Areas of responsibility are literally 2-3 times as large as they were 5 years ago which leads to huge challenges in being able to execute at a high level. The company has continually advertised free services the past couple years to bring in new clients, but have no plan to retain those clients once they are no longer under the free umbrella.