H&R Block - Good first job in the IT field | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

"Good first job in the IT field"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Tech Support in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain valuable experience
Casual and friendly work environment

Cons

Get asked a lot of tax questions even though you're tech support

Other Employee Reviews for H&R Block

"Expected to do much more for less."

Former Employee - CSP in East Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - CSP in East Cleveland, OH

I worked at H&R Block part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are yours if you want them.

Cons

Expect you to be slaves for $8.00

Advice to Management

Stop being lazy.

"Tax Season for the 2012 Tax year"

Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going workplace that is close to home. Lots of people contact. I have contact with lots of good people. The employees truly care about each other and their clients.

Cons

1) I don't think the company cares about it's employees.

All of the employees complained about the wage structure this year and how it was reduced in order to lower the level of the tax preparer and justify a lower rate of pay. When the news broke blaming H&R Block for the delay in refunds due to the Education Credit, the notices did not state the cause of the problem and did not state that the tax professional was not the cause of the problem.

2) My experience with work in other tax offices was not recognized as valid experience for the company. This was in spite of the fact that I have successfully complete tax courses from H&R Block in the far past and used that knowledge in other offices in the recent past.

3) My paycheck, even when I was earning overtime hours (I am a non-commission earning employee), was not sufficient to cover my basic expenses. Now that my hours are being shortened, my paycheck is not something that I consider to be an appropriate reward for my service to the office and the company as well as it's clients. I look at my paycheck as a test of my endurance rather than as a reward for good work done. When I try to address this, the answer that I get is one that passes the buck onto the company.

4) I asked to give feedback as an employee, and I was told that my position doesn't have that option. Therefore, my request was promptly disregarded and not of any importance.

5) I regret to state that I feel disrespected as an experienced professional because I am not a senior citizen. Even my son has been given the impression that I do not know enough to be considered a true professional. I am not a young person just out of college and I am also not an unskilled uneducated professional. I am a mature worker with a great many years of professional experience that has value in today's society, but I am working in my home community without the respect and compensation that my skills bring to the workplace. I am afraid this leaves me feeling shorted out of something that I feel that I have worked to earn in life.

6) I also had trouble in the workplace because of the number of senior citizens in the office. I was defnitely given the impression that you have to be a senior citizen to be a good tax professional and I simply can not agree with that logic. I judge a good professional by their ablity to perform on the job and use their knowledge and experience effectively. I do not use age to make that decision. The fact that I was surrounded by many seniors caused me serious concerns, some of which should not have occurred in the workplace without appropriate support for that sort of problem.

7) Nobody seems to care that anyone who has to depend on their paycheck from this office for a living is left in the lurch because so many of the employees are using this as a second income or living on retirement income. It's a generally acceptable process.

8) No advancement opportunities with the companies are presented in the workplace. It has been indicated that I simply am not needed.

9) I was receiving rejection emails after I was working with the company and had been recognized as an employee. To me, this displays poor control over Internet communications through human resources. I fail to understand why the Internet application process is so negative in today's world. I must admit that H&R Block is not the only company that poorly utilizes this method of hiring. I hate getting beaten down my automated rejection emails.

10) I do not have any benefits and I am being left in a financial position that puts my own well being at risk due to lack of funds. I wondered at times, if I was being deliberately propulsed into a state where I would require a loan for the benefit of the company. I fear using credit because I am not receiving any indications that I will have enough funds in the future to pay debts. In others words, I am being treated as if I should not expect anything in the future, not from the company, but from the community in which I live and attempt to work for a living.

Advice to Management

When you say you will present to the office and the office prepares itself for your arrival, make yourself present live and in person as expected.

Show the public that you have factual information that indicates fault where fault belongs and protect the security and future of your employees with appropriate support in all aspects of employment.