H&R Block - If you like to be on call 24/7, the DM job is for you! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

"If you like to be on call 24/7, the DM job is for you!"

Former Employee - District Manager
Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at H&R Block full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, well known company. Lots of locations to choose from. Good training and good benefits including insurance and stock options.

Cons

High pressure, constant turnover at the DM level. Every year brings a new master plan. What you did last year is now the dumbest thing they have ever heard of, but just wait a couple of years and it will be right back. Business is in a steady decline...changes in the industry and regulatory environment may bring the end of this company sooner rather than later.

Advice to Management

Be consistent!

Other Employee Reviews for H&R Block

1. "One of the best!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at H&R Block full-time

Pros

Employs are paid competitively, receive free tax service, and get a great client experience.

Cons

Office communication is dependent of your co-workers. Some tax specialists can be too competitive. Client experience also depends on your co-workers.

Advice to Management

Promote more inner office activities to promote more communication within the office!

"The job is sales, not tax prep"

Current Employee - Tax Professional
    Current Employee - Tax Professional

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, local and district management. Lots of training for little money after the first year. The nicest clients you could hope for.

Cons

You get hired as a tax professional and then find out you are really a salesperson. First, Block does not believe in hiring a marketing team so they have us deliver flyers. They want us to call every client the first couple of weeks and make them all set up appointments. If they don't, we have to keep calling them back until they do. If that's not bad enough, Block runs a call center in some foreign country that calls the clients more than we do, sets up appointments in the wrong office or when someone isn't working, which means we have an irate client on our hands and we get blamed for it.

When we finally get to do taxes, the push is to sell extras, not just do taxes. Block used to say we wanted to help our clients meet their financial goals by helping them hold on to their refund. Now we want to get every dime out of that refund by letting them have fees come out of it - for an extra price, and sell audit protection that pays their taxes - which rarely does since most mistakes are on their part for not bringing documents in or being honest about dependents. But wait, there's more! Every year they make preparers do free 1040EZ returns and Second Looks reviews to get clients in the door, and not only do preparers not get paid to do these things, it takes time away from working with paying clients. Since it is a full commission job and time is money, it costs us money to do these things for free. Do it if you love doing taxes and helping people. Otherwise there are a lot better employers out there.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on marketing teams locally. Mail ads to clients, send things like refrigerator magnets with the closest office phone on it. If you are going to send coupons to the clients, don't reduce our volume by the amount of the coupons. If we give a discount, reduce our commission by the amount of the discount. You want us to get email addresses, so use them to send reminders. People do not like phone calls but most read email.