H&R Block - Controlled, like a puppet | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

"Controlled, like a puppet"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is just ok.....(if pay for performance is real/true....pay would be great!

Cons

The performance review process is a joke. Managers know % they plan to give you, way before perf review is even administered. Senior management needs to really examine the quality of managers they have in key positions. The buddy hiring process needs to stop . Perhaps do an targeted anonymous "Managerial Leadership" survey....similar to the Associate Engagement survey.

Advice to Management

Move those bad managers to top of list for next lay off. Stop the politics. WAKE up and really recognize your talented hard workers. Allow employees to manage their own internal career movement. There are a few managers known to intentionally hinder/stop internal transfer by providing untrue negative feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for H&R Block

"HORRIBLE. DO NOT WORK HERE. (This review is for the Premium office on Bristol Street in Elkhart, IN)"

Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get your taxes done for free and the hours that you get are great if you don't have a life or a family.

Cons

Where do I start. They switch your hours on you, you have to come in regardless of whether you are deathly ill or not because they have no back-up CSPs, if the tax pros are busy you can't leave for lunch which during peak will mean that you can't leave for lunch at all, when they have you put in your commitment to work, don't bother because they won't follow it anyway, the tax professionals are rude and talk about you behind your back and complain about things to everyone else but not come to you, one of the tax professionals complained about me because I went to lunch and didn't offer to buy her anything which I normally would have (which is ridiculous because I have a family and a baby to support) but she had her door shut and was with a client. Lord forbid you ever have a family emergency or need a personal day because they are unwilling to search for a replacement and the poor other CSP will be stuck here for a 12 hour shift by herself with a ten minute break and a half hour for lunch.
    I have never been so unhappy in a job. There is no team playing. It is a very hostile environment. I don't know if they other offices are this bad, but this place is horrible. I would only recommend working here if you like torturing yourself and being told that you are a failure.

Advice to Management

Promote working as a team. Don't let your tax professionals get an ego where they think that just because they paid for a class to become a tax pro that they are any better or smarter than anyone else. Don't treat your employees like their time doesn't matter.

2. "Not a good place to work!"

Current Employee - Ciient Services Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Ciient Services Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talking with clients while they wait for their appointments.

Cons

Very low pay. No more then 20 hours given per week. Tax Professions treat Client Service Reps as though they are intellectually beneath them. Perhaps each office is different, but the one I am in is awful! I dread going into the office each shift. The tension is this office is very thick and I'm sure clients notice it.I would never work for this company again nor would I have my taxes filed my them again.

Advice to Management

Encourage tax pros to show respect for client service reps, the clients will notice tension in the office.