Employee Review

Former Contractor, more than 8 years

They won't pay you.

Feb 5, 2014 - Editor in Seoul
    Business Outlook

Pros

You set your own schedule, and the owners are pleasant. In 2008-2009, one of the owners apparently suffered a mental breakdown of some sort. It was all kept somewhat on the down-low, but he was still making decisions from behind the walls of a Korean sanatorium. By the time he regained his mental footing, monthly payments to employees were 7 months behind. The company was never able to catch up, and must owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to a relatively few people (myself included).

Cons

They won't pay you. That is the long and short of it. As it's a Korean business that hires foreigners, there is no legal recourse for employees who aren't paid. This makes every page you edit a huge crapshoot, and as the evidence mounts that you won't be paid, the work becomes harder and harder to take seriously. Additionally, the whip-cracking regarding deadlines and the overwhelming workload take a heavy toll. If you are fast and talented, Harrisco will calibrate the workload to "full drown"; if you are slow, they will assign you nothing for long stretches of time. It's maddening, but when you're getting paid regularly, it's great--if you're fast and talented. When you're not getting paid, it's a Sisyphean hellish experience.

Continue reading
    29 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Paying company

Jan 5, 2021 - Creative Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy money and quick payments

Cons

Some writing can be a bit technical

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very happy working for Harrisco - reliable and professional

Dec 28, 2020 - Freelance Science Editor in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been editing for Harrisco as a U.S. based editor for almost four years (with one year off). Early in that time there were certainly some issues with on-time payment for completed assignments – which was the reason for me taking a break. The company CEO continued to communicate periodically by email, promising all backpays would be completed and every month or so, deposits were made to my account in a good faith effort to ‘square the ledger’. The apparently genuine desire to fulfil its obligations, convinced me to resume taking assignments – in particular with a new payment system that didn’t require waiting until the end of the month. Payment now made by Paypal for each individual assignment. Since I re-started (about 18 months ago), all payments have been made strictly on time and furthermore ALL of the backpay was paid. I have heard the company had some difficulties, but that seems to have been resolved. My experience over the last year and a half has been extremely positive and all of my interactions with the company have convinced me, they are highly professional and reputable. Support staff in my case have been great – clear communication with them helps enormously, in terms of issues with how much work you can handle and deadlines. I am a part timer and only have limited number of hours to devote – and they have respected that.

Cons

None in my situation. As others have noted it would be good to have a higher payment rate.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about HARRISCO.