HBO - awesome experience and jobs and employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HBO

"awesome experience and jobs and employees"

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Associate Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HBO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

people, jobs, training, pay and benefits

Cons

advancement and overall treatment by supervisors

Other Employee Reviews for HBO

1. "Just OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HBO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great perks, benefits, vacation, good culture. Friendly people.

Cons

NO ROOM FOR GROWTH FOR INTERNALS! They rather hire from the outside than promote within. Support levels often stay support level. I've had several HR Reps and they all seem to come from the NY Public Library which makes it seem as if they only hire and promote people who came from the library!! It's impossible to move up in Creative.

Advice to Management

HBO should focus on internal mobility and try to promote your current employees as opposed to hiring people every month!

2. "Ah, the Golden Years"

Former Employee - Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at HBO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting place to work, very good benefits. Brand recognition and prestige were through the roof. I was fortunate enough to have worked there when the channel really came into it's own and it was an exciting time. HBO captured lightning in a bottle with two shows that were not only hits, but that would go on to make television history. HBO stood alone and didn't have the competition it has now.

Cons

As others have pointed out, advancement is frustratingly difficult to near impossible to achieve. There were a lot of old-timers coasting along who were not budging. I don't blame them for their overall complacency, I blame the corporate culture at HBO. But with no accountability comes poor management and stagnation. I've heard that's changing somewhat simply due to attrition (read: retirement), but it's still tough to move up. The benefits have diminished from when I was there, which is too bad, since the salaries weren't the greatest and that helped to make up for that.

Advice to Management

Have the same performance standards for all of your employees. Just because someone has been there for thirty plus years, don't make their review process a formality. You have very eager employees who want to move up, address that.