HCC Insurance - HCC did more for my career that any other single company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HCC Insurance

"HCC did more for my career that any other single company"

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the IT department we had a large amount of training available to us. Granted, we had to be ambitious enough to ask for it. Not a big cost for valuable training. HCC allowed me to get a vast amount of exposure to other technologies as the flat organizational structure promote cross technology cooperation. There was some political drama, but those managers and leads are no longer at the company. A lot of liberties were given to resources who had the ambition to think outside of the box and to look towards new technologies. The constant interaction with C-Level executives provided a lot of transparency.

Cons

While the pay may had not been the best, the training options more than made up for it.
Subsidiaries can be somewhat abrasive and sometimes outright deceiving, but we had a lot of support from local management allowing resources like myself to stand up for what we new was technically sound.
Change control was a little informal at the time (excel spreadsheet) but the change manager does well with the tools provided to him.

Advice to Management

Thank You! My time there has help me become the Virtual Architect that I am today. If it were not for you guys i would still be stuck in an oil patch somewhere!

Other Employee Reviews for HCC Insurance

"They need to do more to catch up with the rest of the industry."

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Early release before a holiday. That is about all that I can commend them for, however that is pretty typical in most area workplaces.

Cons

No work from home options, no flexibility in time and a culture seeped in 80s management techniques. The favorites game is obvious and the salary is paltry for the industry. Although they have good ratings from the financial standpoint, that is awarded on the backs of lower level employees who are treated as cogs in a machine- easily replaceable so no investment is thrown in their direction.

Advice to Management

Top down overhaul. It's about more than just the bottom line- as your competitors have learned, happy employees are productive employees.

"So far, so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A profitable company, leader in its market. Provides very good benefits and flexible time off policy. Excellent co-workers and support from manager and management team.

Cons

Not every employee has an assigned covered parking space. The commute is often hectic. No Jeans on Friday.

Advice to Management

Identify employees with a positive attitude that care for the company, those who will bring new ideas and add value to the organization.