HCL Technologies - It was a mixed experience depends on project you have been assigned | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HCL Technologies

"It was a mixed experience depends on project you have been assigned"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in India, MS
Current Employee - Database Administrator in India, MS

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get Onsite if you are in good project

Cons

they may assign you to any project and you might be more capable

Other Employee Reviews for HCL Technologies

"Rock bottom salaries"

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are entirely managed by the client. You rarely interact with anyone from HCL management which is good as most of the management are vision less folks without a clue.

Cons

Rock bottom salary. Rock bottom means rock bottom. Management often boasts about how superior the company is compared to other "indian command-line sweatshops" like TCS/Wipro/Infosys but when it comes to compensation, they are very happy to follow the path of these sweatshops.

Advice to Management

Try to compensate according to market standards instead of sitting in the Mediocre Paymasters bracket.

"Good job and benefits, bad pay and HR practices, culture mismatch"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have met and worked with some of the best people I've ever known. At my level (service desk analyst), we have very good camaraderie and professional respect for each other, and we "have each others backs" all of the time.

Training was as thorough as possible, and at six weeks was surprisingly long for a service desk analyst, especially considering that most of our team is very overqualified for the job - all of us have been network techs, desktop support, and so on. Since we were coming into a company that is outsourcing for the first time in its history (a major utility company), this may not be that unusual.

Benefits are very good overall, and the job itself isn't too demanding. The work is still challenging enough to be interesting.

Cons

Pay practices are VERY questionable, bordering on illegal. HR claims that service desk analysts are salaried exempt, when by the Department of Labor computer professional definition and subsequent 2006 opinion letter, we clearly are supposed to be salaried non-exempt. Have had to fight repeatedly and often to obtain overtime pay - one eight hour period worked in November took me three months to finally get paid for.

Reimbursement for ANY kind of expense is a ridiculously long and painful process. Not only do you have to submit scanned copies of documentation, you have to provide paper documentation that first goes to Sunnyvale for approval, then on to the home office in India for final approval. Why a tech company can't simply use the scanned copies is beyond me, though I have my suspicions there is a reason for it.

The company website demonstrates one large problem - an incredible amount of acronyms and names for things that simply don't make sense. It seems that perhaps the KISS principle has never been considered or even heard of...or if it has, it was ignored.

Indian culture and practices do not translate well to the American market, especially in the area of communication with management. There is a distinct sense that you do not "jump the chain of command", no matter what, even if you notify the person you're jumping over that you are doing so and why you are doing it. Questioning a manager or supervisor higher than your immediate team lead seems to be looked upon as blasphemy...I've encountered an attitude of "how dare you question me" more than once.

Advice to Management

1) Fix the pay situation once and for all by clearly documenting in the employment agreement that a person is either hourly, salaried non-exempt, or salaried exempt.
    2) Modernize and streamline the entire HR system, especially in the area of expense reimbursements.
    3) Instead of trying to get Americans to conform to the Indian style and management culture, try meeting in the middle. If we can learn your style and culture, it's time for you to learn ours.
    4) Encourage people to use their "chain of command" instead of just paying it lip service with the so-called "open door policy". Most people don't like getting the impression that you shouldn't question management too much.