Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 3 years

HMSA

Mar 31, 2021 - Analyst, Group Underwriter II in Honolulu, HI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supervisor/Management were very understanding and helpful

Cons

None that comes to mind

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Feb 2, 2021 - Service Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership and collaborative team approach

Cons

Not always flexible with scheduling out of office appts

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Clicky/ Toxic leaders

Jun 4, 2021 - Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's easy to build amazing relationships with peers and cross-functional teams because most are working towards the same goal, to help the people of Hawaii access affordable, quality healthcare.

Cons

Many department heads give preferential treatment to certain employees regardless of their qualifications or abilities. With the exception of a few, most people in mid and sr. management roles have zero experience leading/managing people. Even after multiple complaints to HR about my extremely inept, toxic manager, it took 4 years before this person was finally put on a performance improvement plan and finally let go a year later. Quality managers who challenge the status quo and fight for their employees, end up getting blackballed or simply leave the company because of the lack of support from senior leaders. They claim they care about their employee's wellbeing, but so many people are underpaid, overworked, and underappreciated. I stayed for as long as I did because I cared deeply about the people and communities I was helping.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about HMSA.