HMSHost - Good experience but management is handcuffed by the union | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

"Good experience but management is handcuffed by the union"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Line Cook in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working experience in high volume food

Cons

Union makes it impossible to hold accountable any employee

Advice to Management

Start firing people

Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost

1. "PLEASE stay away from HMSHost!!"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Allentown, PA

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There definitely aren't any pros. If I could give it negative stars, I would.

Cons

Bad pay, bad management, no sympathy/empathy or concern for their employees, unsanitary food, no training, everything else....

They do not train. I was told how to do the cash register in 30 seconds and then was thrown on one, by myself, and expected to know it perfectly, then I was yelled at because I needed help. Then same thing happened to me in the back while I was making food. I was there for one day and then was put back there by myself and expected to know how to make and cook everything and to know where everything was. They give you instructions ASSUMING you know exactly what they're talking about. Also expected to do the work at other restaurants because they won't schedule people at the proper time.

Some health issues arose after I started working there and they would not work with me and did not care. Even with a doctors note. And fare warning they LOVE to write people up for anything. You will also get written up if you call in sick. Doesn't matter if you're in the hospital with viral meningitis, you have cancer, or someone died or you have a not from the doctor or hospital....they will write you up for calling in sick.

The food is unsanitary for SO many reasons, it's disgusting. You get free lunches but I won't eat there. The pay sucks. There is no management on overnight, only supervisors who don't know what they're doing or don't care. Also, during the summer when it's busy you sometimes won't get a break, even if you're working full-time hours. They discriminate with their breaks. The week I was doing day shift I was forced to take my break two hours after I started my 8 hr shift. And I took it with all my fellow white employees. When I brought the issue up I was told they don't send people on break during the busy lunch hours. HOWEVER, if you looked out into the lobby during those exact hours, EVERY day....who was sitting out there in groups of 10 or more? All of the minorities. I guess they are afraid one of them will complain and yell discrimination....because who discriminates against a white person, right?

I could go on and on but I'm certain this box has a text limit.

Please, save yourself the trouble and the stress and just go somewhere else. The pay isn't worth it, trust me.

Advice to Management

Learn your jobs!!! Train your employees. Have a little more sympathy/empathy. Learn how to be more observant of what is ACTUALLY going on around you!

2. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at HMSHost part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet all kind of new people every day its cool

Cons

Nothing I loved the job

Advice to Management

Work hard