HMSHost - TravelMart Sales Associate | Glassdoor

"TravelMart Sales Associate"

Former Employee - TravelMart Sales Associate
Former Employee - TravelMart Sales Associate

I worked at HMSHost part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Valuable experience, friendly workers, good starting job, free lunch, paid training

Cons

During the summer months the plaza was very, very busy. Only two people were ever scheduled in the store at a time so this meant that when shelves needed stocked or one of us went on break, there was just one working. Sometimes we would have two or three buses pull in and have lines wayyy out the door. Something always seemed to be broken in the store as well and I never saw much care from any of the managers to fix things. I had very little training and my managers never seemed to know what was going on. My drawer was messed up multiple times because they screwed up my voids (if a customer no longer wanted an item or we double-rang an item we got a void because we were not allowed to fix this by ourselves). Many times we had to hold up the line because we were not allowed to keep $20s in our drawer or accept a $100 bill without a managers help. The managers were always up at the fast food place and rarely checked on the store. I usually called up to the front two or three times a day for change. Hours were very scattered...sometimes I would get 10 and sometime 35. Always expect to work at least a half hour later than scheduled because at least with my managers, you didn't get pulled from your drawer for 10ish minutes after your shift.

The point system is ridiculous. My second day of work I got a call and my manager was rude and asked if I was coming in for work that I was half an hour late. I told him that I did not work that day. He then asked if I looked at the second schedule and I (not being told about another schedule) said no. I ran into work and got points because no one told me about a schedule. I requested off two times when I worked there, I put in my requests months ahead of time and got scheduled both of them. Each absence was 3 points and once you hit 12 you were fired. The one, I was in Myrtle Beach and called for my schedule. When they told me I worked two of the days I would not be home I told them I had requested off but they insisted that I did not. Luckily they found someone to cover so I did not get points.

My location was off the turnpike, not in an airport like some other places, so we get a lot of truckers. Being a younger female, this was concerning. Many were nice but there were some creepy ones. There are two stores in the back of the plaza but one of them closes early and they only put one employee in the other to cover a closing shift. I closed almost every time I worked and was therefore alone at the back of the plaza. There are not many customers that are in the plaza at 10 and 11 and night so many times it was just a few truckers. As I said, some were nice but we did have to call highway patrol out for one because he was crude and scared me and the girls in Starbucks quite a bit.

This could very well have been just the place I worked at so don't let it deter you.

Advice to Management

Train your managers better, don't give a key to someone just because they have seniority.

Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost

1. "Started out alright, got horrible quickly"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at HMSHost full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can not really think of any

Cons

Hired as a supervisor, ended up filling in all the time for the union cooks, washing dishes etc. and oh yeah, still had to finish my duties and somehow stay under 40 hours. Now if you decide you want to be a cook at a restaurant at the airport, it's fine, your in a union and can pretty much call off when ever you want and basically run the place. Also, the attendance standards were harder in elementary school. There is never anyone to fill in, we went months without a dishwasher and a prep cook, so I ended up doing that too. Still wondering where the supervisor part fit in. If you are union you get 2 weeks vacation after I think 2 years, supervisors get 2 weeks when you start on your 6th year and the first 6 months you only get half that, so basically during the first year you only get about 28 hours vacation.

Advice to Management

Do whatever it takes to get rid of the union. It only helps those who can not seem to be on time and lazy. Those that show up and do their job have no need for it.

2. "This could be awesome but it's disappointing"

I have been working at HMSHost (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice Airport, Busy environment, Interesting cliental

Cons

Bad management. Almost impossible to qualify for benefit program. False promises.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employes, their experience and include them instead of making everyone feel like there is a constant which hunt. Plan for the cyclical cycle of the calendar. In the slow time plan for the busy, work with week links, don't act surprised when it gets busy. Get a manager that actually "manages". Someone how can build a team, moral, and sales. Not just police corporate polices. This could be an awesome place to work. Lets make it awesome together.