HMSHost - Union uselessness, browbeaten management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

"Union uselessness, browbeaten management"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at HMSHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

regular schedule, decent benefits, interesting guests

Cons

union staff that refuses to perform up to normal industry standards, and upper management that blames junior management for underperforming staff.

Advice to Management

get a clue, hire a staff that is willing to work, reward high performers, and remove the slugs

Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost

1. "Used to be one of the better places I've worked."

Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culinary union, a lot of employees have been there for many years, they try to reward employees for good customer service, better pay than most retail/cashier/food positions. Culinary union offers one of the best health insurances in the nation. Overtime is offered usually (when business is good). Annual raises. Opportunities to move into management (management is non union however). Ability to transfer all over the US. Paid lunch. Free parking (airport locations). Pay for your laundry. Ability to move into different job classifications with training (opportunities for fast food, porter, barista, bartender, cook, host, etc.) Good place to gain experience.

Cons

Sometimes feel we are treated like kids and management has to watch and know our every move. Feels like there is a lack of trust between associates and management. Once felt accused of theft by loss/prevention team because my sales and they started asking me questions even though I did not do anything wrong. Some managers like to micro manage. There is a lack of communication on a large scale particularly within management and to the associates.

Advice to Management

Act like you at least somewhat trust your associates. Bump up the communication between all management and associates. One manager will say one thing on policies and then another manager will say something different about the same policy. Used to be fun working there several years ago with company parties, fun, upbeat management. Now everything just seems so strict, uptight, a sense of distrust. It's barely tolerable working there 5 days a week now.

2. "A great place to start out and gain customer service experience!"

Former Employee - Associate in Clifton Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in Clifton Springs, NY

I worked at HMSHost part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

build experience, work with similar people, bonuses/incentives for performance, very flexible hours

Cons

minimum wage, smell like grease/food, employee turnover, sometimes coworkers lack

Advice to Management

take time to recognize those with potential and help them excel within company