HMSHost - Good Company, had trouble figuring out its identity while I was there | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

"Good Company, had trouble figuring out its identity while I was there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at HMSHost full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They provided good benefits including a meal during your shift. When location mgmt. was focused on the employees they were treated really well and rewarded well. Pay was average for the work being done.

Cons

Senior management did not visit often but when they did they did not do so in a remotely positive manor. You were yelled at in front of coworkers and customers.

Advice to Management

Now that the company has made some drastic changes, hopefully things will get better.

Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost

"Fun work, terrible environment"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Bloomington, MN

I worked at HMSHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved getting to work in an airport (MSP), the pace of the restaurants there was perfect and the tips were fantastic. You have a set schedule every week that you were hired for and you knew that you would always get those hours and have the same days off.

Cons

- The heavy emphasis on seniority was frustrating - because of the union, senior servers got first dibs of shifts and additional hours, even when they were the weakest servers on staff.
    - Managers and staff had terrible communication. For example, I was asked by my supervisor to take a shift for someone and help them out, but when I showed up for it, the senior server at the time straight-up yelled in my face for doing so.
    - Emphasis by upper management was put on temporary and unnecessary cosmetic things, like having fliers up and arranging tables for maximum capacity, not on the quality of the service, food, or environment.
    - Management was unprofessional and inexperienced.
    - Had to pay union dues every month for a union that did not seem to help me.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act. Start acting like professionals in everything you do at work - treat your employees with respect, pay attention to the cleanliness of your restaurants, get experience actually managing people and running a restaurant.

"Highs and Lows, overworked and underappreciated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HMSHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Opportunity to transfer
    Fast paced work
    Can get good money if you're a server or bartender
    Union reps if you get in trouble

Cons

Overworked management
    Lack of appreciation
    Lack of communication
    High Turnover
    Short staffed
    Poor attitude of co-workers
    Managers don't always follow the rules and play favorites

Advice to Management

Focus on your current employees now, and you won't have to deal with people quitting so often. Support your supervisors and assistant managers.