HNTB - An amazing internship experience that propelled my education outside of the classroom and taught me many skills | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HNTB

"An amazing internship experience that propelled my education outside of the classroom and taught me many skills"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA
Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at HNTB as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Allowed for me to come out of the internship a more well-rounded individual. Taught me al ot about the engineering industry, which i knew nothing about coming in. I learned many skills that can be applicable to many communications/marketing jobs. Very friendly helpful staff. Was given many responsibilities.

Cons

There really were none other than there seemed to be a generation gap between me and many others in the office, but nothing that hindered my ability to learn and embrace those around the office.

Other Employee Reviews for HNTB

"HNTB used to be a good, sometimes great, company. Today they are no better, sometimes worse, than their competitors."

Former Employee - Vice President in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Vice President in Kansas City, MO

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation and office space is better than most competitors. Legacy relationships with clients and senior staff that are holding on keeps the company afloat. Still a strong civil firm if you are a civil engineer. Brand is still strong.

Cons

Execs have made several poor strategic decisions over the past 5+ years. Jumped into the Federal market years after competitors made their play - and now that business unit is already gone. Current design / build initiative has no solid leadership. Legacy clients and business are often ignored due to the current 'next big thing' investment mindset. Company micro manages time on job to a level that distracts staff from focusing on projects / clients. HR leadership manages the staff like a minimum wage workforce.

Advice to Management

Position the company for a better future on your way out. Look outside your closed ranks for new ideas. Ask the younger leadership and staff for their opinion - and assign value to it. HNTB was built on big dreams - from time to time, really listen to the dreamers in the employee ranks.

Target new verticals and new opinions, but don't forget what made HNTB - long term client and employee loyalty. Appoint someone to the executive ranks that looks/talks/thinks different than you. Stop laying off the young staff - invest in building a future pipeline.

Most of the troops would settle for <10% annual returns in exchange for a better quality of life and an opportunity to deliver a project the right way. Salary doesn't guarantee loyalty. Stock returns don't guarantee happiness. Taking pride in one's work and having a reason to go to work everyday does.

2. "the company has very friendly atmosphere"

Former Intern - Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HNTB as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good consider for an internship program

Cons

You will most likely be over worked