HNTB - No work/life balance | Glassdoor

"No work/life balance"

I worked at HNTB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Very stressful environment due to focus on metrics rather than projects.

Advice to Management

Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth. Employees receive mixed messages regarding meeting metrics vs. following processes/principles.

Other Employee Reviews for HNTB

1. "HNTB is a good engineering company but still growing."

Former Employee - Engineering Technician
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician

Pros

HNTB works on interesting and large scale projects. These projects are good resume builders. HNTB is has a pretty relaxed environment; friendly people, allow casual dress a lot of the time. A couple times a year each company branch office meets and talkes freely about strategies with developing technology and client relationships. It was nice to see that everyone was included to some degree in the operations of the company. There is a nice mix of younger professionals and seasoned professionals to form working groups and act as specialized teams. Also, the Kansas City offices are located in nice building downtown, and in overland park.

Cons

I worked for HNTB Federal which seemed to have unpredictable work loads. Many of the projects are quick design build projects that are bid low and expected to be completed within a couple weeks. There are many engineering companies that are struggling, but while I was there over 1.5 years they grew rapidly (over doubled in size), and didn't seem to plan for new hires beyond their current work needs. I like the idea of having work 'teams' but many times it was unclear what my team was or who my boss was , or what project I would be working on.

Advice to Management

I'm not in their shoes, so I don't know what I would say. I appreciate the work experience and the family friendly environment. I wish I would have been given more opporturnities to try new responsibilities. It was frustrating that while I was laid off, the transportation group and the municipal group of HNTB Corp were over worked and needed help. I'd let them know, that I was assured that there was no talk of laying me off, and I had no need to worry. So the tap on the back and hour to pack an leave was a big suprise.

2. "Project Manager"

Pros

Strong company in every aspect of civil engineering

Cons

They limit themselves to a smaller number of clients