HSBC Holdings - Great company to work for, but so big that growth can be hindered | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HSBC Holdings

"Great company to work for, but so big that growth can be hindered"

Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic managers, great resources to better yourself if you are willing to take it upon yourself to do so, all the changes going on within the organization currently are actually steps in the right direction.

Cons

Advancement opportunities at times seem a bit political, tons of changes which can be challenging for some people, pay is good but just average for the industry, raises and bonuses have also been average.

Advice to Management

My experience with the management has been the positive side of my employment. They have been great. Very supportive and empowering. Being such a large company, it can be very difficult at times to make any changes that really improve things....just a challenge with being a global bank. Only thing I can think of that I really disapprove of is the rating system which forces managers to fit their direct reports into a 20/70/10 ratio where 20% are top performers, 70% are average, and 10% are rated as below. It is an outdated system that is not actually supported by the most recent studies regarding performance management. I do know that this has been raised as an item from many of our Senior Managers - it just takes so long for things to change.

Other Employee Reviews for HSBC Holdings

1. "Good place"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Mettawa, IL

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very diversified, you'll meet people from all over the world.
    Committed to employee career advancement. Opportunities for promotions and growth.
    Good learning experience.
    Looks good on resume due to international presence.

Cons

I worked in US headquarters, and the pay was less than in US Banks for similar positions.
    This is the only US Bank that doesn't observe US banking holidays (or British, for that matter)
    Can require lots of overtime during deadline peaks, but management grants decent comp time in lieu.

2. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training program for people just entering the mortgage industry. Many opportunities for increasing income, good leads and some flexibility with hours. Very into giving back to the community. Super fun sales contests.

Cons

Working late. Other sales people view you as someone who will take money from them. They begrudgingly help and aren't really helpful. Branch manager's are promoted because of their sales numbers, not because they have management experience or know how to motivate and train. My branch manager was cussed out by two employees and a third quit citing her micro-managerial style as the reason.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that have management experience every time. An untrained manger can ruin a branch.