HUB International - Transitioning - A Change Has Come | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HUB International

"Transitioning - A Change Has Come"

Former Contractor - Account Manager - Temp
Former Contractor - Account Manager - Temp

I worked at HUB International as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My impression of HUB was they employed good people who were knowledgeable, client focused, dedicated, professional, and smart but without being overly elite, HUB has great technology. The environment is great for the independent worker who would not thrive with micromanagement. HUB is positioned to be a growth company with acquisition, but retention may be questionable.

Cons

I worked as a temp at HUB in Illinois and my impression of the "good" people was unfortunately, altered. I initially declined the assignment because this industry still has an element functioning in the 17th century when it comes to diversity in terms of opportunity for growth and perception. Think of the 0% diversity at the 2012 republican convention. This element represents fewer bad apples spoiling the bunch now.

Many holding outdated views generally within the Boomer bracket have retired, Gen X is more likely to have come of age in a world of equals and Gen Y & the Millennials seem to really get it and are so far above these issues of old. Being in environments where change has not arrived can be very toxic for the diverse employee- been there done that for a lifetime--there are fields which arrived decades ago.

Well I accepted the assignment and initially worked with a very top knotched, professional experienced, senior leader who was obviously experienced in managing all types of people. My work was praised and I was motivated even though there was quite a bit of work and backlog because staff had left.

This manager suprised all by retiring from the company which left a temporary void in the department. All heck broke loose at this point. One employee jockeyed for a promotion, another temp called in sick for several weeks but was kept on assignment without doing the work as corporate was not notified, and one temp, along with the jockeying employee must have pulled out 'Driving Miss Daisy'' or the 'Help' and targeted me for bullying, hostility, fabrications to human resources, and an expectation my role was to be in servitude. This is not about reporting to someone with expertise, but real mistreatment rooted in a level of bigotry or lack of exposure to a changed world.

To HUB's credit, once leaders in corporate became aware, they addressed the issue. I did feel I had been the target but still had to prove their accusations were not true. This is the element which does not sit so well regarding their handling. However, this is a progression from other times, but I would hope the real change comes when the perpetrators of this behaviors are made accountable for their behavior - having to prove they are telling the truth.

Ultimately HUB ended the assignments - I believe for all parties. Overall, I think this was an unfortuante isolated incident, and choosing to work in a metropolitan HUB location would be a positive career move. In considering more isolated settings, it might be wise to really get a handle on what is really allowable.

For the growth oriented diverse candidate HUB offers opportunity, but mainly for those who have transferrable skills honed in other industries. It does not seem as if having spent a career in the field will lead to growth opportunity.

In terms of the work - HUB is staff streamlined. How one reacts to this really depends on the view of work. If you like to be challenged, can self motivate, enjoy not have a wasted minute in the day, require little direction, are entrepreneurial in nature, can figure things such as programs, contacts, resources etc out on your own then I this is a good environment to "go for it." If you require paddles with your boat --- you will sink.

Advice to Management

Since there is still a bad apple element, not on the diversity train, operating in ways of old - be clear there is a 0% tolerance policy. Hold training sessions for programs, systems, etc. Even if it self sign up or directed, employees still have access to training. Hire a password or site keeper. HUB has access to excellent markets and resources but NO ONE knows the passwords and if you're not one of the original users, the markets and resources do not allow for new sign ons. As they acquire business on one end they loose it on another due to service, so consider hiring for retention and growth. As new agencies are acquired - the employees may need to be corporatized into the HUB way - which hopefully reflects the current century.

Other Employee Reviews for HUB International

1. "Account Assistant"

Pros

Great atmosphere and close knit team. I very much enjoyed my time at HUB international.

Cons

No issues regarding my time at HUB international.

2. "Good training but the pay isn't there"

Current Employee - Commercial Insurance Advisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Commercial Insurance Advisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and good training environment. Good stepping stone to a more lucrative career. Very good to parents with young ones at home. Work life balance is respected and encouraged

Cons

The pay is not up to par with the remainder of the industry. there appear to be too many managers and too many levels of management. There need to be more employees as there is too much work to go around. The emphasis on constant revenue is a bit overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the pay scale and keep good employees by paying them well