HUD - Great job, though sometimes frustrating | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HUD

"Great job, though sometimes frustrating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at HUD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission and great programs that are critical to improving the quality of life of low-income families. The program I work on in particular is incredibly rewarding. Most of my colleagues are awesome, as is my boss. It's mostly a family-friendly work environment, with a good work-life balance.

Cons

From what I hear, in terms of responsibilities and daily activities, working at headquarters (in DC) is much better than working in the field. The headquarters building is somewhat dismal and can negatively impact people's mental and physical health. However, the agency is really supportive of teleworking, which helps to offset any downsides of working in the building. The most frustrating part of working here is that we need more staff! It's hard to think about all the things that could be done to improve our programs, but we don't have the staff to make it happen. The HR department and other administrative offices often are annoying and incompetent.

Advice to Management

Advocate for more funding so we can hire more staff! Or transfer FTEs from administrative offices to program offices.

Other Employee Reviews for HUD

"It was not a great experience. Too bureaucratic."

Former Employee - Management Information Specialist
    Former Employee - Management Information Specialist

I worked at HUD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Government job. Good benefits. Pay scale is better than private sector in some cases. Flexible reporting time. If you come in at 7, you can leave at 4 or come in at 8, leave at 5.

Cons

Supervisors. Apathy on the part of coworkers. When I worked there so many people just showed up to sit at their desks, drink coffee, read the newspaper, microwave some popcorn, and wait until closing. Pitiful work ethic on the part of many.

"Low maturity organization coupled with cronyism. Terrible atmosphere."

Former Employee - Division Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Division Director in Washington, DC

I worked at HUD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With so many people leaving, the career opportunities were there, but it was such a negative organization, that no one wanted to be there.

Cons

Just a terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Learn to lead. Your Ivy League education does not equate to experience nor does it equate to being a leader.