Habitat for Humanity - Great job, until lay off | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity

"Great job, until lay off"

Former Employee - Office Administrative in Lancaster, PA
Former Employee - Office Administrative in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

got plenty of raises, small office, felt like family. Lots of support from main office.

Cons

mis managed affiliates, ran by board of directors (volunteer)

Other Employee Reviews for Habitat for Humanity

"The local financial director approached me with a job offer so I took it. Frustrated, I soon quit."

Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer in Steamboat Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer in Steamboat Springs, CO

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In some parts of the world they seem to be providing houses for folks who could not otherwise afford it. Some volunteers are probably learning some new skills along the way.

Cons

The low wages that are offered will not attract highly skilled people. When you combine that with completely unskilled volunteers and cheap or donated materials, this makes for a very poorly constructed house.

Advice to Management

Even the small chapters of Habitat for Humanity who only build one house at a time need to have a team of well paid professionals to manage projects and supervise volunteers.
    The small chapter I worked for was mainly staffed by volunteers and the few hired folks that were there were severely underpaid and overwhelmed with responsibility far beyond their capabilities.
    It will cost way less to pay a fair wage and hire a team of expert skilled people. This will enable you to properly supervise volunteers rather than waste materials and overwhelm an underpaid person to fix mistakes in a panic while racing to meet deadlines.
    But remember we are all human. Even the best of us will make mistakes and we shouldn't be made to feel like a fool for it.
    The sign of a good builder is how well you treat your workers, how well you manage mistakes and how efficient you are when things are going right, not how fast or cheap you say you can build it.
    Be suspicious of low bids. Always taking low bid is a crippling mistake. Be suspicious of those who undercut others just to get the job. Contractors who underbid will cut corners, push workers, create hazards, leave loose ends and make mistakes that will cost you more to fix in the long run.

2. "Used People as tools, then discarded them"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet interesting people at the store

Cons

Meet interesting felons from Dismas House

Advice to Management

Get a clue