Half Price Books - Never fall in love with your job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Half Price Books

"Never fall in love with your job"

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount, Co-workers,Benefits, Profit Sharing Bonuses

Cons

I've heard that it is WAY different in other districts, so keep in mind this has been my experience in San Antonio. I LOVED HPB for the first several years of my time there. The last year, and the higher up on the ladder I went, the less I loved it. Co workers and I half jokingly said it was kinda like a marriage where you gave and gave, and did your best, but you never seemed to get anything in return. LOTS of micromanagement, and mainly not being given the resources we needed to get the work done that they expected of us. You would get tons of vacation time, but never be able to take it. The quality of life sucked. I would only recommend working HPB in San Antonio if you a) have very thick skin b) are not afraid to work very, very hard c) don't have a significant other or children and d) can live off minimum wage

Advice to Management

You are very out of touch. The market is changing, your customers are changing, and you have not worked in the stores on a daily basis in years. Before you implement procedures, YOU need to do them, or let the ones in the stores make those calls.

Other Employee Reviews for Half Price Books

"Most Convoluted Place On Earth"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good hours
    I really loved this job while it lasted. I enjoyed being around books and a majority of the customers were really great to work around. I came home with funny stories every day and left with a smile at the end of my shift.

Cons

Where to begin! Here's my story. I interviewed at Half Price and they asked me to leave the job I had currently with no notice because they were short staffed after multiple employees had left. I agreed and 2 weeks later they fired me under the pretense that I didn't like my job. I later found out that right after I left they received a transfer from a different store who had called while I was an employee and wanted to work the sections I had. So they fired me 2 days before Christmas!! I have never been so hurt in my life. It took me 2 months to find work after that!!

Advice to Management

Watch your stores very carefully. Because all your managers are stupid and do not care about your employees. They completely go against everything that company was built on and stands for.

2. "Great business model, good benefits and meager pay."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and value.
    Great benefits and extras.

Cons

Little pay, small raises and a lack of form and structure within the company.

Advice to Management

Hire real business professionals for help run the business and evaluate process.