Hall & Evans - Want to work really, really hard? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hall & Evans

"Want to work really, really hard?"

Former Employee - Associate in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

They throw great parties. The name is venerable. Nice offices.

Cons

The billable hours and rainmaking are the only criteria used in this firm for advancement and praise. They throw great parties, but those don't make up for the cutthroat competition among the associates. The firm posts each associates, partners, and paralegal's billables each month.

Other Employee Reviews for Hall & Evans

1. "I enjoyed my time here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Hall & Evans full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Lots of vacation days
    Nice office environment
    Great office parties

Cons

There was lots of gossip
    They need more diversity here
    They need more training opportunities

2. "Review by former SysAdmin - Hall & Evans, LLC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

This is written from the perspective of a lowly Systems Administrator (IT guy) but I'll try to cover some areas that were applicable to attorneys and support staff alike.

In general, the firm has a mature, stable feel to it. Though H&E is growing rapidly, there's still a decent family feel (perhaps to the extent that you make it). Special events are well-planned and usually a good fit for families with kids (ie, Fourth of July Rockies games, zoo picnics, volunteer days).

The Denver office is bright, new, and nicely furnished. There are a few offices and conference rooms with excellent views and if you like downtown, it's hard to beat working one block off 16th Street Mall. Sometimes the board will open up the office bar and have a catered "welcome" event for new hires or other special occasions.

Benefits, from my *personal experience*, were average or a bit above average. I've had health insurance plans/premiums/employer contributions that I would classify as better but those "better" benefits were many years ago and I'm not sure any employer can meet that standard anymore. This was my first time trying out a high deductible plan and, while I didn't like the sound of it initially, their HSA program helped ease my concerns. 401k matching was pretty standard, along with PTO and holidays. Paid parking or RTD fare were provided. I also appreciated their recognition and the bonuses that occasionally followed. (To my knowledge, there wasn't a structured bonus plan for support staff, nor was I promised any.)

The new COO was a great addition to the team. He's a down-to-earth fellow; a solid driver who knows how to get things accomplished while treating support staff with respect and dignity. In my experience, he seemed to genuinely *want* to support each department however he could to keep each one running like a well-oiled machine.

The HR department was head and shoulders above other HR teams I've worked with in the past. They were always professional, organized, helpful, and friendly even when I needed something explained a second or third time before enrollment. That said, I hope they were able to hire another staff member because at the time I left they had very heavy workloads and were - I think - pushing the limits of what a team of two could handle.

The IT department is managed by a guy who works his [PG expletives are apparently not permitted] off to keep everyone happy. He's no-BS guy and doesn't get involved in office politics. Like the COO, he's there to keep the bits flowing properly and upgrade systems as time/budget permit. If you're applying for an IT position, you'd be hard pressed to find a more flexible and hardworking manager who leads by example.

Cons

First world problems, most of which apply to any organization:

If you don't like working downtown, you won't like working at H&E.

If you're applying for an IT role, be aware that there are some "mature" folks working here who are change-resistant. Generally, if you can muster up a healthy dose of patience, it's not a big deal.

Every office has a few who act entitled and get whiny. Working with a horde of attorneys as opposed to say, fellow engineers, you're probably more likely to run into a few folks who don't realize they're primates, too. Having said that, the firm verbally advertises a "no a-hole" policy and I never personally witnessed anything beyond a suppressed tantrum.

Negativity in the office can be contagious but that can be said for any organization that isn't Sesame Street.

Advice to Management

You're doing it right and I'm just an IT guy who was pretty much kept in the IT dungeon with little insight into office politics. But this is the Interwebs so I have a moral obligation to put in my 2 bits even when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Keep in mind the old proverb, “a society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit.” Add some diversity and fresh perspectives to your board & EC. There seemed to be a bit of good 'ol boys club feel to it. Mix it up a bit.

And while you're mixing it up, rotate Santiago's into Friday mornings on occasion. Easy win.