Halliburton - Great for some, not so for many | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Halliburton

"Great for some, not so for many"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Professional in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Senior Technical Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Halliburton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Certain employees are "identified" as high performer, and get multiple promotions within short career term. Layoffs of good employees & technical staff are rare. Most people who are eventually laid off usually are lower performer, or jobs becomes redundant. A lot of contented employees that stay in company for greater than 30 years, which is rare in oil industry.

Cons

Compensation is low. If you are one of those non-identified employees, you will more than likely sit on the same position for years, until you seek your way out. Good thing is Halliburton is big enough that you can jump from one product line to another with little issue.

Advice to Management

Promote lateral movement of employees, to not just sit stale at the same position for years.

Other Employee Reviews for Halliburton

1. "Patients running the asylum"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kilgore, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kilgore, TX

I worked at Halliburton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate appears to be a real, live, grown up company. Salary is not terrible and until lately, overtime was plentiful!

Cons

Field locations run by many unprofessional, incompetent individuals who merely made their way up the ladder by friends and favors. Promotions largely given based upon the buddy system and harrassment and discrimination are prevalent although most employees fear for loss of employment and as such, keep it under wraps. HR does not offer the support it should to employees. DO NOT work for Halliburton field camps!

Advice to Management

Somebody should really look in on the kids....they are making a mess of your house!!!!

"Great pay and tons of paid time off."

Current Employee - Operator Assistant I Frac/Acid in Hobbs, NM
    Current Employee - Operator Assistant I Frac/Acid in Hobbs, NM

I have been working at Halliburton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, excellent benefits, work only 34 weeks/year, 17 weeks off-duty + 1 additional week of vacation (all 18 off-weeks are paid for at 40 hours) TONS of work to get done--job security, excellent training programs, they invest a lot of money in training new/current employees, lots of different career opportunities to be able to move up to.

Cons

I've noticed a lot of employees don't stay for long because pay is definitely not competitive with competitors, poor communication amongst managers-to-employees and to other managers. I personally don't care how long the work hours are, the more, the better, it's what I signed up for and I'm here to make some serious money! Give me all the work you got!! :)

Advice to Management

Effective communication is paramount in every business...I am sure YOU ALL KNOW THAT. I love working here...but the politics and the miscommunication and misinformation has got to go.