Halliburton - OK - but could be better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Halliburton

"OK - but could be better"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

BIg company with worldwide presence. The pay is competetive but could be better to attract better talent. They spent a lot of money to upgrade SAP this past year and are finally moving their data center in to a "real" data center.

Cons

Once run by Dick Cheney - political impact of that is tough to overcome no matter what. Outsourcing (as in all IT shops) is a threat that seems to be growing but there are areas that seem safe from this. Inter-group department comuninication can be improved. Sometimes it appears you have to come from the outside to get promoted to a senior position.

Advice to Management

Focus on the staff - make a concerted efort to improve morale. Promote from witin instead of always bringing in from the outside.

Other Employee Reviews for Halliburton

1. "Good place to start a career."

Current Employee - Technical Professional in Caldwell, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Professional in Caldwell, TX

Pros

Good compensation and not a lot of responsibility compared to the pay. There is lots of room for advancement because in this industry there is a huge age gap right now. There is an entire generation of oilfield workers who are on the verge of retirement, and there was a lull in hiring for about 15 years. Because of all of that the middle management positions are having to be filled by people with less experience, meaning very fast advancement for younger employees.

Cons

Very long and irregular hours. Some travel and time away from home.

Advice to Management

Have higher expectations of employees and better interviewing practices.

2. "Great to work for."

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

Pros

I've found that you get what you push hard for. I started out complacent as far as promotion and compensation go and got nowhere. I changed my mindset to a more aggressive nature and positive things have happened. They have been extremely good to my family and have taken care of me very well each time I have had to relocate.

Cons

Sometimes in a big machine such as Halliburton, it seems like the people that already work in the most visible markets, get the lions share of recognition when it's the people grinding away directly at the customer that get bypassed. Such is life. Also, I've found that the level of professionalism in office settings and in management varies GREATLY by locale. The PPR system is a joke, and I feel that is a huge negative because in a way I think it removes peoples sense of accountability in their job performance.

Advice to Management

Senior management should possibly go to the field more often, and when they do, don't make a big deal of it, just show up and see it how it really is, not how it is shined up to look before your arrival on announced visits. I visit the field often and can't ever remember a SENIOR level manager coming out....just mid-level at the highest.