Halogen Software - It's been good overall. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Halogen Software

"It's been good overall."

Current Employee - Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

Very family friendly. Good location. Management makes genuine attempt at doing the right thing for the product instead of themselves.

Cons

Pay is slightly below par.
There's an old group of people who seem to make the majority of the decisions.
The tech is very outdated and the senior people are smart but the ones who have only been there forever are really just junior dev with lots of experience making the same mistakes. So it's hard to make a difference there. That's starting to change to be fair.

Advice to Management

Don't let red tape creep into the process

Jan 17, 2014 – Talent Attraction Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Other Employee Reviews for Halogen Software

"Pleasant employees but poor pay, poor career potential and poor management"

Former Employee - Account Development Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Development Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

- stable company
    - decent product and competant leadership at the top levels
    - company with a decent reputation (at least in 2010)

Cons

- poor pay
    - poor career advancement potential
    - call centre environment
    - inconsistent quotas and compensation/commission packages
    - poor leadership from lower management
    - unusal culture that attempts to brainwash employees into thinking that it is the best company to work for despite coming up short in the areas above
    - recent issues with a competitor call into question the ethics of the company
    - demands of the job consistently went up without compensating employees accordingly

Advice to Management

Without any chance of vertical movement and, as long as Halogen lags other companies with respect to compensation and work conditions, people will continue to leave.

Jan 19, 2014 – Talent Attraction Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. We have worked very hard to build and live an intentional corporate culture and I’m sorry that you didn’t have the same day to day experience that I ... More

"People can be really that nice"

Current Employee - Client Services in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Halogen Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a very toxic previous work environment, it's been a breath of fresh air to be at Halogen. The company is based in Canada but I work out of the San Jose, CA office. Despite being so far away and being managed remotely, I continue to find both my Canadian and local colleagues extremely helpful and friendly, with a strong commitment to team collaboration. I genuinely like the people that I work with.

Also, the leadership tries to really walk the walk in terms of implementing talent management best practices internally within the company. So not only are we helping our clients try to implement talent management best practices but we can use ourselves as an example. I quite admire that, especially coming from other organizations where HR is clearly broken--and I was in the HR department!

Also, Halogen does believe in recognizing and appreciating their employees, so you do work hard but the company is very supportive of you taking time off to play. The biweekly Pizza Fridays, team building outings and charity events are a great morale booster.

There is also a great emphasis on onboarding their employees right, so I can definitely say that they are not shy about making an investment in their employees. This includes spending several weeks at the Ottawa headquarters for training when I first started so that I could actually learn my job. Each new hire in client services also gets a buddy, as did I, so it was nice that I immediately had a safety net.

Also, the medical, dental and vision benefits are awesome! Halogen covers 100% of the benefits, so that means employees pay zero in the way of premiums. Monthly parking is also covered!

Cons

The company is transitioning from a start-up size to a mid-sized company, so many of the processes and procedures are just now getting worked out. This can cause a lot of confusion and frustration in the way of mixed messages and inconsistencies around our actual job duties, requirements and procedures.

Halogen tries really hard to keep and develop long-time employees who are now performing poorly in their current roles. I appreciate the loyalty to these employees but at the same time, there are those of us who have to suffer the consequences of working with those poor performers.

Once you're fully ramped up and can do your job, the pace can be relentless, especially during "high season." It's easy to get overworked if you aren't disciplined about sticking to your boundaries.

The San Jose office has some serious issues with the soft phone and VPN servers. It can be maddening because we spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with tech issues just to get our jobs done.

Advice to Management

Get alignment across all the leadership with regards to the value and importance of client services.

Take off the blinders with regards to long-time employees who are poor performers and consider either moving them to roles better suited to their skills or moving them out.

Aug 24, 2015 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it :)