Hampton Inn - Okay first job in the hospitality industry, but pay is not comparable to the work and guest issues that arise. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hampton Inn

"Okay first job in the hospitality industry, but pay is not comparable to the work and guest issues that arise."

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Memphis, TN

I worked at Hampton Inn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*I adored most of the people I worked with here.
*We had several regulars who would stop by and say thank you - you never realize how much that can make your night until you've had some angry guest situations.
*On slow nights, there was time to get homework done.
*It provided great material to use in my hospitality classes.
*It's a great opportunity to network with management at hotels in the same cluster.
*Benefits are great!

Cons

*Hourly pay is significantly lower than starting pay for other brands in the area (Marriott and Hyatt both start at almost $2 more an hour).
*Little opportunity to grow within the company.
*After 1 year you are supposed to get a review and a raise (usually a very small one, but one none the less) but my GM refused to give me mine.
*Guest situations can get heated depending on who is talking to you. Being at the front desk means you're the first person they see when something goes wrong, and it's often that things escalate quickly when you're considered the "manager on duty" and there are no other managers in the hotel.
*Management with no education seemed to look down on the employees that were getting their degree and wasn't open to the idea of mentoring or giving advice on how to move up in the company (besides basically saying we were wasting our time/money/resources).
*Employees were often thrown under the bus by the GM - for example if the GM happened to be checking someone in and a reservation was done incorrectly he would say out loud to the guest "Oh, I bet XYZ messed this up."
*Employees were berated often for insignificant matters, but serious issues with employees were never addressed
*When an emergency medical situation arose, the GM was not helpful or compassionate with the situation and tried to pressure me in to coming in despite doctor's orders not to, so he would not have to stay late. (He managed to pressure another employee to leave the hospital where she was hooked up to an IV to come in, but that's another story).

Advice to Management

The job itself was fine. It was a good first step in the hospitality business. I'm sure my experience isn't the norm with the company. You don't normally quit a job - you quit the management. That was my experience and many of my cons reflect that.

My advice is make sure employees know where they can go when situations get unbearable so they don't feel they have to leave the company all together. And I would reevaluate starting hourly pay for your front line (front desk) employees, especially when they so often are considered the manager on duty and are the only employee in the hotel. They are often verbally abused by guests (several of us have even had things thrown at us!) and it would show the brand's appreciation for their employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Hampton Inn

1. "Wanted to quit since day 1."

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Gettysburg, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Gettysburg, PA

I worked at Hampton Inn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few good people working there that I actually enjoyed working with.

Cons

The management company is horrible. There is absolutely no room for growth in the company. No one has gotten a raise...some even worked 10 years without getting one. The pay is close to minimum wage which is ridiculous for all the work that we do. There are no shift diferentials for different shifts. Everyone except for the people on A shift are there by themselves, meaning no managers, housekeepers, maint. etc. There are absolutely no benefits of working here. Way too much drama with the staff. From day 1 people talk behind your back and I'm talking almost everyone. Also it would be nice to have a manager actually listen to you once in a while instead of rolling their eyes at you.

Advice to Management

Give people a reason to work hard for you. Give raises/offer benefits/promotions.

"Very Stable choice if you work at a Hampton hotel location."

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Hampton Inn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hampton is the best of limited service hotel franchises right now so it's a good choice if you like hotels. The company is very well run and stable. Hampton has a wealth of free training once you are working there. This is one environment where you can actually work your way to the top even if you start at the very bottom. A hotel like this is a large work environment so you don't feel as cramped as you would in other franchise companies.

Cons

If you work at a Hampton hotel (as well as any large hotel chain), you will be working for a franchise owner or a property management company. You will not work directly for Hampton. Therefore your job satisfaction has more to do with your relationship with the hotel owner than it does with the Hampton Hotels corporation. Some owners can be very good and some are not good to work for. It's a good idea to try to find out if other employees are happy there before you apply.

Advice to Management

Push for higher employee satisfaction.