Hand and Stone Spa - Okay for a massage mill | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hand and Stone Spa

"Okay for a massage mill"

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Morristown, NJ
Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

camaraderie, nice working conditions

Cons

Quick turn over from one massage to the next, booking massages back to back with out breaks

Advice to Management

give breaks to your therapists don't book multiple massages back to back

Other Employee Reviews for Hand and Stone Spa

1. "A good place to start."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langhorne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langhorne, PA

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

At this particular location, I am pretty happy. The spa is clean, the staff is professional and polite and our manager is very good at what he does. Everything is provided to us. I enjoy my co-workers. Nice big break room for when we're waiting for our clients, with a full kitchen. The pay isn't terrible at this location because I usually have a steady stream of clients. I love the product lines we use - Clarity and Dermalogica. Everything is very organized here.

Cons

There are some days where things aren't so organized, but it's so much better than many places. The front desk sometimes books people at odd times making things a little difficult or stressful (back to back appointments can be brutal), but they don't do it very often, at least not to the estheticians. We need a lounge area for our guests, since it's tough when they need to be with a massage therapist who isn't ready for them yet and I need to flip my room for the next guest. Where am I supposed to put them? Sometimes our manager can get cranky and overwhelmed because he's taking on so much. The clients here are very hit or miss...many of them are cheap and do not tip well. The steamers are unreliable and break often. Laundry is sometimes stressful because we run low on linens. The spa is usually open even during bad weather - so if you're unlucky enough to be scheduled to work, you might end up not getting paid that day even though you risked your life to get there. Uncool. You only get paid if you have a service.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate. When faced with major snow days (like today, 10 inches!) maybe close the spa? It's dangerous to have your employees to come out for what could be a zero-client (meaning no money) work day.

"This place makes me hate my life."

Current Employee - Esthetician in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only pro is I worked with a few cool people that have recently left and on to big and better things.

Cons

Where do I begin? They don't care about you as an employee. You make about 4 dollars an hour, and as a full time employee you never have the chance to make commission. The owners are very often making changes without notifying the employees. At one point the owners tried making us punch in and out only for your client and then just sit there unpaid all day, but they found out that was illegal so they couldn't do it. One of the worst things about this place is that anyone can run it. Seriously. The owner at this location has had no spa experience whatsoever and doesn't understand the strain that is put on the massage therapists when they ask them do 8 massages in a row AFTER already booking the appointment.. Of course you have a choice, but you will be treated differently from the moment you tell them no. Definitely favoritism here and worst place I've ever worked. I am very unappreciated and I have seriously considered working at chipotle instead until I find another position in my field.

Advice to Management

Take some business management classes and try this again. There needs to be an equal balance of respect and satisfaction with both clients and employees. With unhappy employees you will have an unhappy, failed business.