Hanley Wood - Loved working here...but it is in decline | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hanley Wood

"Loved working here...but it is in decline"

Former Employee - Editor Person in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Editor Person in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and interesting work
Fun employees always up for happy hour
Competitive compensation
There is an opportunity for advancement, depending on your skill set

Cons

A few select employees who wield waaaay too much power and are waaaaay too full of themselves
Too bloated at the top. Everything went to hell when the former CEO came back... which was odd since I never heard a single nice thing about him the entire time I worked there
Also, the company is bleeding it's most dynamic employees and keeping weary ones who have no vision
Mgmt ignores REPEATED complaints about managers who cause good employees to leave over and over and over. It's offputting

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and hire people who care about publishing

Other Employee Reviews for Hanley Wood

"Good people in the trenches, scattered management company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

Pros

I worked with some GREAT people at HWE. When it is (literally) showtime, I imagine there are few better event management companies in the world. In a declining industry, the "rank and file" work extremely hard to ensure that attendees and exhibitors alike have a good show experience.

Cons

Upper management at HWE has no clue how to market to its exhibitors. They put together some extremely confusing online portals for customers and exhibitors and seemingly made up the user experience and promotion strategy on the spot with no research whatsoever. Also, constant deck shuffling at HW headquarters led to quarterly strategy changes for the company as a whole. Meanwhile, the rank and file paid no attention and continued to do our jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I wouldn't have found my dream job if I hadn't left!

2. "Media company stuck in the past"

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Younger staff pretty fun to hang out with after work. Used to have half days on Fridays during the summer. Great location in DC.

Cons

Management doesn't know how to move into the digital age. Very top heavy and lacks vision. Hemorrhages smart and innovative employees to digital agencies. Employees left wondering when the axe will fall.

Advice to Management

Hire digital experts. Hire younger staff familiar with new media and digital analytics. Give employees a sense that they can grow.