Hanover County Public Schools - Working with our children | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hanover County Public Schools

"Working with our children"

Former Employee - Teacher in Mechanicsville, VA
Former Employee - Teacher in Mechanicsville, VA

Pros

Very rewarding to help youth become confident, competent individuals and to instill a desire for life long learning. So exciting to work with young people who will soon be stepping out into the world as happy and productive citizens.

Cons

Soooooo many hours outside of the classroom are necessary. Must be able to work with enthusiasm and energy for the students' sake, even though you are rarely well rested.

Advice to Management

Be very careful to place only the best leaders in the role of principal of a school. I've been very fortunate to have worked with some of the best. Allow teachers to evaluate principals and asst principals. School Board officials need to have "eyes and ears" on each leader they have chosen..

Other Employee Reviews for Hanover County Public Schools

1. "Good county to teach in"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Mechanicsville, VA
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Mechanicsville, VA

I have been working at Hanover County Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive colleagues, great professional atmosphere -- at Hanover High School, at least -- with plenty of PD opportunities, competitive salaries for the area.

Cons

Very high expectations of newer teachers, arguably too high. Usual complaints about profession -- significant time outside of classroom required to stay on top of all the paperwork, low pay for the amount and caliber of work, etc.

2. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Hanover County Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teachers are really great. The atmosphere really makes for a true learning environment for the students.

Cons

I have not encountered any real problems since becoming a substitute teacher in the Hanover Schools.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't change anything.