Hanover Research - Great opportunity for talented and driven individuals | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research

"Great opportunity for talented and driven individuals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

- Hard work and talent do not go unnoticed. With the fast growth of the company and a meritocratic culture, there is no need to 'wait your turn' before promotion.
- A company culture that strikes the right balance between ambition and hard work, and socialization and community service. Happy hours, potlucks, trivia nights, and charity events are encouraged and well-attended.

Cons

- As mentioned many times in these reviews, professional development and training programs are sorely needed. Currently, the employees who have been successful are those who haven't needed much help in terms of training. Instituting a new employee training program would help build confidence and satisfaction for many others who might find much of the work (for both Content and Business Development) to be challenging.
- As a researcher on the Content side, and it be easy at times to feel like a cog in the machine. More could be done to encourage every employee to understand the 'big picture'.

Advice to Management

Growth is great, and there is no lack of applicants for the growing number of positions, but more could be done to ensure current employee satisfaction and retention.

This needn't require pay increases/more vacation time (although those would be nice!), as great gains could be made through more simple increases to training, communication and openness.

Other Employee Reviews for Hanover Research

"Hanover embodies a fast-paced meritocracy which is perfect for ambitious young professionals."

Current Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Attractive bonus and compensation potential
    + Staff is smart, energetic, and hard-working
    + Fast growth of the firm consistently produces new opportunities and a dynamic atmosphere
    + 401(k) with 2% employer match
    + Great health benefits
    + Perks such as the occasional catered breakfast/lunch, and comped dinners after 7 pm
    + High level of staff involvement for community service events and happy hours/fundraisers

Cons

As Hanover has grown quite quickly in the past few years a need for professional development for mid-upper level management has evolved which to date has not been met

Advice to Management

It would be great to have easy access to professional sales and management training

"Great, if you're in Development; if not, it's still not too bad"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility
    Good experience
    Ability to hone research skills, if you're willing to learn
    Ability to work alone and be responsible for your own work

Cons

Upper management
    No recognition from upper management
    Quota system and churning project after project out makes it seem like an assembly-line job

Advice to Management

There's definitely a focus on Development, in every sense, even though the researchers are the ones doing the actual work once the members' are in the door. Keeping the sales relationship is essential, but without the work researchers do, best of luck, development. It's also common knowledge that salaries in development were higher. Hope it's not the case still, but wouldn't bet on any changes.

Upper management does not care about researchers. When I was there, we were just a pool of people who wrote reports all day - we don't have names, and even if we did, it probably wouldn't even matter. Updates from upper management focused almost only on Development.

My advice: Ever wonder why turnover is so high in research? Some recognition would be nice. Also, give promotions where and when due. That is part of the reason I left when I did.

To address one of the comments left earlier, the researchers look young - I was surprised to learn how old they really were and just how many advanced degrees were held among them all. So, they're not all 20 year olds, which is reassuring.