Hanover Research - Sales is social, research is not... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research

"Sales is social, research is not..."

Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

It is a paycheck at the end of the (bi) week.

Cons

95% independent work (could be a + if you like that) and you can go all day without speaking with anyone even though they are sitting right next to you. I consider myself an independent person, but it's a little too much for even me. While I understand it's research, this quiet environment still baffles me. It's hard to know your coworkers, people leave without saying bye...and you realize this the next day when their desk is clear.

Work is hit or miss and can be frustrating. Shifting from topic to topic each week gets old, especially since subjects are rather obscure areas (majority B2B, little B2C).

If you are considering applying, consider what type of work environment you like. I'm writing this because if you have an offer and are unsure, you are unsure for a reason and move on.

Advice to Management

CDs need management skills. This would benefit communication with researchers and also with client interaction.

Hanover Research Response

May 24, 2013 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found the work at Hanover to be more isolating and less predictable than you had anticipated. Autonomy and variety are characteristics of ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Hanover Research

"Lonely work in the middle of a crowd"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move upward if you do not make mistakes
    Good location

Cons

People in Research are stacked on top of one another in one giant room. You get very little privacy, yet you interact with no one and spend the whole day looking at the computer screen. Some of the work is boring, like looking up random things on google and citing them on a report. Upper management lacks communication skills (lots of fake smiles and politeness, no constructive feedback). High employee turnover. Behind all the smiles, the company seems to have a ruthless culture, taking in recent graduates who have nowhere else to go, and getting rid of people who struggle.

Advice to Management

Get people who can communicate well and actually help build professional skills.

Hanover Research Response

Jun 20, 2013 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found the work at Hanover to be more isolating than you had anticipated. Autonomy and variety are characteristics of the job that most of our ... More

"Interesting work, good environment, good pay, great place to work!"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting research reports with typical 4-7 day turnaround.
    Supportive team atmosphere.
    Good work life balance.
    Young, but not too young, office environment.
    Free snacks and coffee/tea, breakfast meetings, occasional pizza day (that makes a difference).
    Occasional early Friday for research teams meeting goals.
    Health benefits, 401k matched 2% by Hanover, life insurance, good PTO.
    Flexibility for remote work.

Great atmosphere, definitely recommend it.

Cons

Very quiet atmosphere.
    Looking at a computer all the time.
    It can be challenging to focus on only one project at a time for so many hours.

Advice to Management

Define what career paths there are for committed researchers other than content director.