Hanover Research - Great starter job, with opportunities for growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research

"Great starter job, with opportunities for growth"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility with work schedules, and my colleagues are intelligent, kind, and fun. The workload is typically quite varied, so it's a chance to learn about different research/writing styles and about a lot of different subjects.

Cons

Upper management can be a little naive when it comes to understanding the researcher's perspective, so it requires initiative on the employee's part to talk about one's needs, wants, and desires related to any aspect of work. The receptivity of upper management varies greatly across Content, HR, and C-suite level positions. Tread with care.

Advice to Management

Listen to the researchers. They're where innovation will come from - they want to help, but they're not heard. If you let this go too long, it will create an unbreakable culture of sulking and dissatisfaction.

Other Employee Reviews for Hanover Research

"A great company for young researchers."

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Researchers have a lot of freedom as long as work is done well and on time. Researchers manage their own projects and have the opportunity to design and carry out projects from beginning to end. Hanover encourages methodological creativity and innovation in the research process.

This is a young company filled with young people. Performance trumps age and experience.

The business model is profitable and there are few competitors. Most of Hanover's challenges have been caused by rapid growth.

Cons

Hanover is a great place for self-starters that like to manage themselves. Hanover is a poor fit for people that need frequent collaboration, management, or assistance. While help is always available, you are still very much on your own.

Career pathing is unclear. Many employees have found success by carving out new roles or becoming experts in niche research methodologies. Hanover is trying to become more transparent in its promotion process.

The research office can be too quiet and Hanover does not promote many social events. There is a core happy hour group.

Advice to Management

Content team needs more incentives for performance, similar to what the sales team has. The sales team needs more research knowledge and career support, similar to what the content team has. Most of these issues will be ironed out over time.

"Sales is social, research is not..."

Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

It is a paycheck at the end of the (bi) week.

Cons

95% independent work (could be a + if you like that) and you can go all day without speaking with anyone even though they are sitting right next to you. I consider myself an independent person, but it's a little too much for even me. While I understand it's research, this quiet environment still baffles me. It's hard to know your coworkers, people leave without saying bye...and you realize this the next day when their desk is clear.

Work is hit or miss and can be frustrating. Shifting from topic to topic each week gets old, especially since subjects are rather obscure areas (majority B2B, little B2C).

If you are considering applying, consider what type of work environment you like. I'm writing this because if you have an offer and are unsure, you are unsure for a reason and move on.

Advice to Management

CDs need management skills. This would benefit communication with researchers and also with client interaction.

Hanover Research Response

May 24, 2013 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found the work at Hanover to be more isolating and less predictable than you had anticipated. Autonomy and variety are characteristics of... More