Harbor Freight Tools - From an IT view, challenging and learning. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"From an IT view, challenging and learning."

Former Employee - MIS in Calabasas, CA
Former Employee - MIS in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top quality IT members, sharpest team I have ever worked with.
Dress code was relaxed and comfortable.
Owner would engage everyone the same, open and honest, always smiling.

Cons

The business is 40+ years old and shows it in the lack of ability to mature into a modern world. People do things in their daily work without knowing why, just "it has always been like this". There is no enforcement to change or mature process. The quasi IT business architects are mostly self serving aspiring exec's with no IT maturity what so ever and attempt multimillion dollar projects with a trial and error methodology. Every top level project in the last two years has tanked due to upper management's lack of support to tried and true IT methodologies.

Advice to Management

Stand back and look at what is being done to your company by the business architects, let the professional IT people guide the IT initiatives as they know best. The business architects have proven they have a single goal in mind - an executive office somewhere and HFT is only a rung on their ladder! Words spoken to me clearly and loudly!

Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"The business model is employee churn"

Current Employee - Corporate in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an employee there are no pros

Cons

Abusive tyranical leadership. "The emperor wears no clothes" I have watched so many really good executives crash and burn. As review and bonus time comes each year it is the same story cut cut cut..find any reason. Recruiting is in a tough spot trying to find replacements. With each generation of new leadership rercruiting, the pool is diluted.

Advice to Management

you should leave

"Pitiful, Horribly managed, stoned staff"

Former Employee - Cashier in Victoria, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Victoria, TX

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say is that it was a very short drive there.

Cons

$7.50 an hour in Victoria TX. My superior was ALWAYS in the back & no where to be found for help. Many co-workers where no show constantly & if they did come in they where high. I was told by two employees my first week "everyone here smokes weed". I started looking for another job & got one. I quit Harbor Freight by walking out when I was confronted. Today was my last pay day and the check is no where to be found.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone, close store, hire people who actually want to work, restock the many empty shelves, open with a crew & new management that doesn't spend majority of their shift in the office on the phone.