Harbor Freight Tools - Good job, bad customers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"Good job, bad customers"

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier
Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- above minimum wage, with commission and annual raises

- willing to hire young people with little or no experience; it's s good entry level job- started when I was 16.

- job stability. As long as you do what your told and hold your tongue with customers you're pretty set.

- lots of room to move up in the company. I'm only 18 and I was promoted to management within my second year with the company.

-great management team, good co-workers, fun job when working with the right people.

-flexible schedules

Cons

- very many rude and disrespectful customers. I'm a young girl and I've been cussed at, threatened, and verbally harassed by many customers(name calling, screaming, very inappropriate sexual comments, etc.)

- management doesn't properly enforce policies

-very hard work. Sales are driven a little too hard and if an employee does something wrong not only do they get punished but so does the MOD.

- I work at a very busy store with only 4 registers and our request for more registers keeps getting refused.

- lots of hour cuts and often understaffed because of budget

Advice to Management

I suggest branching out to more forms of advertisement. Associates are already asked to do so much and name collection is very frustrating for both the employees and the customers. Also, policies regarding coupons, restock fees, and returns need to be more strictly enforced so that customers don't expect us to make exceptions.

Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"A decent job but don't expect much in the way of acknowledgement of your hard work."

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for someone who is just starting out in the workforce and doesn't have very many skills, and managers seem pretty willing to work with just about any schedule.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement, managers seem to stay managers, assistant managers stay assistant managers, and associates stay associates. Hours are divvied out based on sales performance, so working in the warehouse and having little interaction with customers means you might just see your hours dwindle down to 8 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote and reward hard-work aside from basing it on sales. Create a policy requiring schedules be posted a few days before the beginning of the week. Appreciate your employees.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014 – HR Liason

We’re happy to hear that you find Harbor Freight Tools to be a flexible and accommodating workplace. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific... More

"Nightmare"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a pay check with benefits if you are a manager. The potential for growth and success exists. But current management is clueless.

Cons

The worst retail operation I have experienced in 30+ years of professional experience in the industry. Routinely asked to perform tasks for which little (but more often NO) training has been given.

Advice to Management

Train your managers how to properly train their employees. Cleanliness standards do not exist. Operational policies routinely ignored.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014 – HR Liason

We appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific information, please feel free to reach out to your HR manager or anonymously call our HFT Outlet Hotline... More