Harbor Freight Tools - Good job, bad customers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"Good job, bad customers"

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier
Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- above minimum wage, with commission and annual raises

- willing to hire young people with little or no experience; it's s good entry level job- started when I was 16.

- job stability. As long as you do what your told and hold your tongue with customers you're pretty set.

- lots of room to move up in the company. I'm only 18 and I was promoted to management within my second year with the company.

-great management team, good co-workers, fun job when working with the right people.

-flexible schedules

Cons

- very many rude and disrespectful customers. I'm a young girl and I've been cussed at, threatened, and verbally harassed by many customers(name calling, screaming, very inappropriate sexual comments, etc.)

- management doesn't properly enforce policies

-very hard work. Sales are driven a little too hard and if an employee does something wrong not only do they get punished but so does the MOD.

- I work at a very busy store with only 4 registers and our request for more registers keeps getting refused.

- lots of hour cuts and often understaffed because of budget

Advice to Management

I suggest branching out to more forms of advertisement. Associates are already asked to do so much and name collection is very frustrating for both the employees and the customers. Also, policies regarding coupons, restock fees, and returns need to be more strictly enforced so that customers don't expect us to make exceptions.

Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"Work / life balance is lopsided"

Pros

The work is relatively easy

Cons

If you are in a store that has one or two assistants, you will work a lot of closing or overnight shifts. Manager and head cashier seem to get all opening shifts. Raises are a maybe.

Advice to Management

Fix the work / life balance. Everyone needs a good schedule and needs of the business can still be taken care of to achieve this.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014 – HR Liason

We’re glad to hear you enjoy working at Harbor Freight Tools. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific information, please feel free to reach ... More

"Insufficient Training, Invest In Newer Technology, Messy Upper Management!"

Pros

The manager was nice and I can appreciate the simplicity of the uniforms which is comfortable attire. Would be good for part time . Wouldn't work full time here EVER!

Cons

Messy management in all fields, poor training , ANCIENT technology, limited resources, lots of confusion on what to do, not enough hours. I was put in a position of using a register from the 70's which was so manual that It requires to remember so many codes and they weren't training me sufficiently. Needless to say I QUIT and so did many others.

Advice to Management

Invest into 21 st century technology instead of continually opening failing stores with terrible management. Get better lead cashiers so the new hires can learn there new positions.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 24, 2014 – HR Liason

We're glad to hear you enjoyed working under your manager and found Harbor Freight Tools' work attire comfortable. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. Should you decide ... More