Harbor Freight Tools - Stop pushing name collection and ITCs | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"Stop pushing name collection and ITCs"

Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(At least in my store)
-Pretty fun co-workers
-Get good hours
-Opportunity for commission
-PTO and sick time for part-time

Cons

-Too much pressure trying to sell ITCs. Why would I try to sell a membership to someone when their information doesn't stay in the computer, their cards don't take coupons off automatically, and half the time they don't receive their ITC flyers.
-Too much pressure with name collection. Most people are in a rush and don't want to stand in line for twenty minutes because the cashiers have to go through five phone numbers then have the customers, who generally write extremely slow, fill out a card.
-No training. You get one maybe half a shift with someone showing you what do then you are on your own.
-Doesn't take care of managers when they are out of line. Some managers treat the employees and customers like crap but nothing is done to them because they have been there for a long time.
-Company doesn't stand behind their policies. If you say no returns without a receipt, uphold the policy. Too many times have I has customers get angry with me and yell at me because I wouldn't do a return but then management comes and does it. This makes the cashiers look like fools. Management need to stands behind policies and their employees.
-Too much is expected out of a cut staff. You can not think that cutting payroll and having two people close is good for the business. You work your staff to death and then they leave.
-High turnover

Advice to Management

Stop with free coupons. The free coupons cause stores to have bad sales because all people want are free stuff. Stand behind your policies and your employees. Stop cutting payroll and then expecting more out of the few employees left.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 20, 2014 – HR Liason

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the people you worked with, your hours, perks and benefits. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve and we're... More

Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

1. "learn to take alot of crap from customers"

Current Employee - Cashier in Montclair, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Montclair, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great chances at increasing pay through commissions off of warranties and memberships.

Cons

Terrible customers and overrall lack of harmony with co-workers.

Advice to Management

treat employees better with pto and better commission on sales

"Unorganized management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service in Montclair, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service in Montclair, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers that got along with one another
    Friendly Assistant Managers who did the best they could to work alongside with employees
    Incentives for reaching sales goals.
    Decent employee discount
    Flexible work-schedule

Cons

Very unorganized management.
    Employees extremely undertrained
    Lacked store resources
    Understaffed on certain days due to management wanting to save money on labor
    Very Sales orientated with lack of loyalty to the consumer

Advice to Management

Take the time to train employees on specific aspects of Tools and various other merchandise.
    Delegate specific employees with strong technical background of products to work sales floor.
    Do not expect employees to work efficiently in an understaffed environment