Harbor Freight Tools - A mildly irritating, and nearly adequate job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"A mildly irritating, and nearly adequate job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, NH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, NH

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a pretty laid back atmosphere, with a relaxed dress code. Some friendly managers or supervisors makes the job better. The fellow employees can be great and you can view a few of them as family after a while. Most of the customers are pretty good, you can actually stand around and have a conversation with them once in a while if you're on a roll and joking with them. As a sales-floor associate you generate a little over a week of paid time off a year, and 2-3 days of paid sick time a year. Low-end promotions are possible, as in it's not too hard to move up to a supervisor position, moving up to management seems near impossible. Training is quick, but not that efficient and ends up being a running joke between employees.

Cons

Scheduling is a nightmare. Every week you will have a completely different schedule, and so will everyone else except for whichever manager makes the schedule. Lots of favoritism. If one of your managers doesn't like you, and their closing with you, expect that you'll be cleaning the bathrooms. And it doesn't matter how long in advance you put in for time off, your not going to get it, and when you say you wont be in and you gave them plenty of notice, the managers treat you like the bad guy. But dont worry, your managers will change very few months. Very few last much longer than a year, or leave for somewhere else.

Your pushed to sell warranties and coupon subscription plans. Whatever you sell, you get roughly 10% commission, but the only way to sell warranties is either getting lucky with a customer that wants one and will ask for it, throwing a lie at the customer and talk it up, or scan a coupon when their not looking and trick them into buying it. The supervisors and managers will tell you to use the coupon scanning method (cheating), but tell you to hide it. But if the district managers find evidence of the cheating, someones probably getting fired. You get yelled at if you don't meet the goals set for selling these things. I've heard the managers get some kind of bonus if the store sells a lot of these, so that's all they care about. The yearly coupon subscription (ITC's) are junk, and all the employees know it, but we still are required to sell these things, and most the customers who do buy it still don't even get the coupons that their paying for.

Everyone always whines about the job, and there is a lot of people who will just stand around and do nothing.

The companies name collection is a bit over the top. There a quota every week for how many new addresses and email address we have to collect as a store, and it's to the point, atleast at my store, that we pretty much bully them into giving us something or else their checkout process takes forever.

The inventory system is a joke, and so is receiving shipments. Most of our freight guys are at court if they don't show up for work.

I've been with my store since opening a little over a year ago, and sales on average has gone down, but people get about the same hours anyway.

Base pay at my store is 9/hr. Asst Head Cashier 10/hr. Head Cashier about 11/hr. Assistant pricing coordinator 9.25/hr. Pricing Coordinator 9.50/hr.

Advice to Management

Get your show together. Make your store a better place, starting with you.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jul 23, 2014 – HR Liason

Thank you for your insightful feedback. We especially appreciate your pointing out the casual atmosphere and camraderie in the workplace. We hear that consistently and we're grateful that we can ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

"Worst company culture and management team I've ever had to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people were the best part as we had to stick together to make the misery of working there be a bit better

Cons

Many of the VPs and above were mainly there for themselves not the company (ie: Too many power maneuvers and CYA activities); NO respect for work-life balance; Jekyll and Hyde bosses were they act nice to others but behind closed doors, they're really office-psychopaths toxic environment who demean and berate their employees; overly-political; bad culture overall from all POVs: customer - they tweak online product reviews, delete many bad ones so only average to good ones apprear); employee - see above and; suppliers - they don't look for win-win solutions only win-lose.

Advice to Management

Management won't listen...employee engagement surveys were ignored.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Aug 7, 2014 – HR Liason

Thank you for your input. We're glad to hear you enjoy working with your team. We agree, Harbor Freight's got a great staff of energetic, proactive people. Contrary to your point, however, we really ... More

"half decent ok for learning experience."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Palm Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Palm Springs, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

relaxed dress code PTO for all employees.

Cons

The companies pay is nowhere close to the standard pay.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge all of your employees sfforts on a equal scale.