Harmonia - You'd better be ready to suck up to your boss | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Harmonia

"You'd better be ready to suck up to your boss"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Blacksburg, VA
Current Employee - Senior Developer in Blacksburg, VA

Pros

They have a decent benefits package and their pay is at or just below industry standards. The Blacksburg location is right on VT campus, meaning that you're centrally located.

There is a weekly developers' meeting, but you'd better keep your head down during it. Once a month there's an extra-company activity where food and drinks are paid for.

Equipment-wise, state of the art. Dual screen monitors, Dell laptops with docking stations and they don't get crazy about you using it as your own laptop.

The network is well thought out, the VPN is well-configured so, if you're working from him, it's easy.

They give Christmas bonuses.

Cons

It is a my-way-or-the-highway, personal-initiative squelching experience. I was actually let go over using the wrong notation when creating variables private to a web page, because that wasn't the way that the program manager liked to create variables. There was no comment on the code I created.

The place is exceptionally narrow at the top - there is nowhere to go here until someone quits or dies.

Firing occurs without notice - you don't get a review, your boss doesn't like what you did so you're out.

As for the work environment: head-down programming. You've got your task, so shut up and do it.

This year they screwed up taxes for everyone in the company by leaving off Christmas bonuses, meaning that a good portion of the employees filed an incorrect return and would have to refile.

They're trying to start a .Net developers' division. The lead is a mediocre programmer but probably the most accomplished micro-manager of his time. This is particularly bad because he doesn't spec out the work he wants done. Expect directives like, "Do it like it is in this other program I wrote, but not really" and then corrections by Outlook email (if he doesn't take your code over himself and rewrite it without warning you).

Advice to Management

You clearly want to be a great place to work. You're putting too much faith in your middle management who, by their own admission, believe that laying abuse on their subordinates is part of their job.

For example, I was waiting on a travel expense check and I really needed the money, because I maxed a credit card to be where I was supposed to be with 3 days' notice. I submitted the expense report the day I got back and let the CFO know.

Two weeks, just to get the check signed, and then another week JUST to give me the check.

No one wants to work with their boss going word-for-word over their project. No one wants to feel like programming exactly like his/her boss is the only way to keep their job. And no employee is your bank

Other Employee Reviews for Harmonia

"Sales Manager"

I worked at Harmonia full-time

Pros

Good working environment with an excellent team.

Cons

no room for promotions did the same job for over 4 years

Harmonia Response

Oct 19, 2016 – COO

Hi - um, we don't have a Sales Manager position in the company?

"Solid company, great growth, emerging gem"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Stafford, VA

I worked at Harmonia (More than a year)

Pros

Do your work, do it well, and you will be rewarded. No micro-management, you are brought on board to do a job and are expected to perform. Competitive salary and bonuses, great medical and dental, and the 401k match is top-notch. Outstanding team environment, great culture and diversity. High focus on maintaining and retaining proficiency, skills and education. Incredible support staff and a broad range of highly technical experts working in new and challenging technologies. Fun social events for every family member.

Cons

Our team and office was not physically located with the Company headquarters because we needed to be close to the client and stakeholders. I know it's very challenging, but it would be good for executives to interact with the team and client every so often just to express interest in the hard work being performed.

Advice to Management

I would suggest creating an annual or semi-annual event during which managers and executives interact with each other, provide/discuss strategies, share lessons learned, and express goals and objectives.