Harris Teeter - Associate Friendly | Glassdoor

"Associate Friendly"

Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management at my store is excellent and it is like a family environment. Rules are there to make sure that associates are safe. Profit sharing checks are nice and are given twice a year.

Cons

The starting pay is at or near minimum wage and raises are small and slow to come.

Advice to Management

Front End hours have been continually cut. This is the one area that every customer has to interact with and can not continue happening. We are supposed to provide world-class customer service with a skeleton staff. This needs to change.

Other Employee Reviews for Harris Teeter

"Played games for 2 years to avoid making me full time"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is slightly higher than most of their competitors.
    Heavy emphasis on quality of work.
    Clean stores
    Company offers 401K and bi-anual profit sharing

Cons

Heavy anti-union sentiment from the upper management.
    Favoritism by management in certain stores

I worked there for almost 6 years, before, during and after I graduated from college. After I graduated I made it very clear to the management that I wanted to be moved up to full time. For 2 years they lead me on to believe they would promote me as soon as a spot opened up. The whole time they would schedule me for around 40 hours a week until the last couple of weeks of every business quarter, when they would dramatically cut my hours in order to keep me below the 32 hour average to qualify me as a full time employee. After 2 years of this they moved the last full time employee out of the Grocery department leaving the manager and assistant manager as the only 2 full time, and hired 2 part time employees instead of moving me into a full time spot. I quit shortly after that.

Advice to Management

Fewer better paid employees are just as productive as a bunch of underpaid employees.

"Fair pay, tough work"

Current Employee - Assistant Fresh Foods Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Fresh Foods Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, good corporate structure. They are slightly upscale, leading to a great customer base.I think the quality and diversity of goods, especially in produce, is worth a few extra dollars at checkout.

Cons

You work constantly and are given a huge amount of tasks to accomplish during your shift. At weeks end if you end up in overtime, you can be written up. The frenetic pace that you must work does not lead to great customer service.

Advice to Management

Allow a little flexibility in the work schedule. Harris Teeter holds themselves to a very high standard in quality, customer service and cleanliness, but they keep their work schedule so tight that it feels impossible to complete your numerous tasks everyday