Harris Teeter - Decent Place to Work In College | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

"Decent Place to Work In College"

Former Employee - Vendor Receiver/Scan Coordinator Backup in Chapel Hill, NC
Former Employee - Vendor Receiver/Scan Coordinator Backup in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay/hour, cooperative of scheduling conflicts, good coworkers

Cons

Bad work environment, bad hours to be working (24 hour store), frustrating scheduling system

Advice to Management

Figure out a better system than manually changing signs overnight for 12 hours

Other Employee Reviews for Harris Teeter

1. "Corporate needs to work in their own stores."

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They worked great with my availability while I was attending college.
    Worked with great people.

Cons

I have been with Harris Teeter for 6 years now and my experience gets worse every year. Corporate continues to have high expectations that cannot be met when they are constantly cutting hours. I work in an extremely busy store and we never have enough people during peak hours to accomplish their ridiculous rules. They do not want more than 10 carts in the parking lot and we are always getting lectured on that but the problem is that we need everyone on a register and cannot send someone out to get carts. I think working their own stores would allow them to come up with reasonable exceptions.

The hypocrisy displayed by the company disgusts me. They tell us to cut ours because they are losing money, yet they spend a lot of money on a comic book to boost employee morale. I understand they are scared that Publix will take them down but the actions they are taking to counteract it, is not really going to help and seem to have the employees, including myself, questioning what corporate is thinking.

Another thing that has been said on other reviews is they will be quick to lecture you for screwing up but will not compliment you for doing a good job. In 6 years with the company, I've only been complimented a few times and that is no way to create a great work environment!

Advice to Management

Have your employees' backs and don't always take the customers' side. It's time to finally start recognizing employees' work as opposed to waiting for something negative to talk to them. And once again, corporate needs to wake up or they will lose ALL their top employees to Publix when they come to NC!

2. "Associate Friendly"

Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management at my store is excellent and it is like a family environment. Rules are there to make sure that associates are safe. Profit sharing checks are nice and are given twice a year.

Cons

The starting pay is at or near minimum wage and raises are small and slow to come.

Advice to Management

Front End hours have been continually cut. This is the one area that every customer has to interact with and can not continue happening. We are supposed to provide world-class customer service with a skeleton staff. This needs to change.