Harsco - Great job till merger | Glassdoor

"Great job till merger"

Former Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
Former Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Harsco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees, fast paced environment made the day go fast, good pay.

Cons

Merger of Metals and Minerals caused many good people to be let go. Management, including the President are rather clueless and not realistic to sales quotas, heavy turnover rate, not enough team building and a lot of finger pointing.

Advice to Management

Keep the money makers and hard workers and fire the ones dragging a good company down. You lost a a lot of good people in the last 4 months and even your President has resigned. Shameful.

Other Employee Reviews for Harsco

"You will regret it..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Pros

Harsco has a fast paced environment and the days go by quickly. I was never bored during all the time I worked there.

Cons

Managers are bullies and monsters. Leadership is nothing short of incompetent and it is truly amazing that the company has any profit at all. During all the years I worked there, I never once received a review. Harsco has no concept of 'balance' between work and home. They take and take and in the end will take everything you have and kick you to the curb. The senior managers make political moves with their own best interest at heart, ignoring what is best for the company, and forget about ethics or fairness. The previous review describing affairs as being rampant is accurate. My own supervisor routinely engaged the services of 'escorts' when traveling and bragged about it to direct reports. I am ashamed to have worked with/for such reprehensible people. I would recommend staying away from this company, however if you decide to work for them, get *anything* involving money in writing, as the company is pathologically cheap and delights in cheating people out of compensation that has been fairly earned.

Advice to Management

Staff your departments adequately. Get rid of bullies. Understand that it is actually possible to have an efficient and effective organization while treating people decently. Learn that people are not disposable.

2. "HARSCO is a good place to work if you only want a place to go to work every day."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Job security - Not too many layoffs. If you like coming to work and doing mindless tasks, do not like to voice your opinion and keep your mouth shut, then HARSCO is the place for you. If you like to contribute to the success of an organization, have your ideas heard and implemented, you are at the wrong company.

Cons

Salaries are too low for the work they expect you to do every day. Benefits are not comparable to the competition. Management has no clue of how the business is run. They expect more than you can give to them, and always expect more.

Advice to Management

Listen to those you manage - they might teach you something.