Harte Hanks - Run Away! Run Away! | Glassdoor

"Run Away! Run Away!"

Former Employee - Picker in Monroe Township, NJ
Former Employee - Picker in Monroe Township, NJ

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Close to home. Site manager JM was great.

Cons

do you have a few hours?? From the start, Heartless Hanks came in and made changes, and not good changes. The first thing they did was look at which employees had the most vacation or 'PTO' time and slash it in half. Claiming they "wouldn't honor" our former employers 'Ridiculous' pto plan.
One woman who was with the company 21 years saw her pto time go from 25 days to 12.
They refused to work with part-time employees and their hours. This included mothers and students.
They NEVER closed for bad weather. I understand that they are in business to make money, but when there is a blizzard warning and 6 inches of snow already on the ground at ten am, it's time to think about your employees and not money. They sent our warehouse manager out in this storm to make a 'delivery'. The trip usually took about an hour in good weather. This time it took him 5. The delivery that was so important? A number 10 envelope containing an invoice. Seriously.
When my coworkers youngest sister died he had to travel out of town. His supervisor actually called him wanting to know when he thought he'd be back to work.
People in the office were treated far differently than the 'workroom' employees. They made their own hours and made mistakes that were generally blamed on workroom staff. I could go on and on but I dont want this to turn into a full-blown rant.
Just stay away.

Advice to Management

Go to the wizard and get a heart. And a brain.

Other Employee Reviews for Harte Hanks

"Sad observer of rapid decline. Loyal, devoted employees, 15, 20, 25 and more years laid off to outsource jobs overseas."

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher/Ad Designer in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Desktop Publisher/Ad Designer in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Harte Hanks part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ever changing ads allow some room for creativity. Employees (mostly) are terrific, talented & dedicated. Low turnover with most 10 years or longer with the company. Most staff is very helpful & kind, willing to train others in new ways & ideas.

Cons

One hand hasn't a clue what the other hand is doing. Very little SOP is written so no one takes responsibility. No straight response when asking management for clear direction. A great deal of task "hoarding" to feel more job security. Poorly trained managers & leads with individual guidelines, favorites, emotional responses to pressure, employee issues. High turnover in management. No clear direction would be the bottom line drawback.

Advice to Management

Take a long look at why you let devoted employees go in order to send our jobs to the Philippines. Is the profit margin really higher? Do not promote HH as "Family" centered & concerned about employees welfare any longer. HH is being destroyed from the top.

2. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A quiet place
    A diverse place
    A socially acceptable place

Cons

Not many places to move up, and if you not a conformer you won't be there long.

Advice to Management

Work with your employee's that have families, don't throw away good hard working people, and be less tolerable of messy and more of a participant with those that give you years of faithfullness and loyalty!