Harvard University - post doc | Glassdoor

"post doc"

Pros

great research, a lot of interesting talks, interesting people

Cons

super long hours, pressure, no time for myself, very competitive

Other Employee Reviews for Harvard University

1. "good people, big problems with inconsistency"

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

Pros

My colleagues and supervisors have been wonderful, professional, congenial. I love my (physical) office. No shortage of verbal recognition for hard work.

Cons

The pay across schools is terribly inconsistent. I know for a fact that I make 20% less per year than someone I shared an office with doing the exact same work at another school.

We are constantly reinventing the wheel because of the "tub/own bottom" mentality here. A lot of time is wasted trying to figure out standard procedures that may already have been standardized for years in offices down the street.

My particular department suffers from old fashioned and inflexible attitudes toward work-life balance. Our schedules are monitored very closely and the concept of flex-time is almost completely foreign. Being over 35 with 5 years of experience in my field I would expect more trust and autonomy. Morale gets low in our department for this reason.

Advice to Management

The kind of work I do is pretty much the same across the University. Our deliverables are funneled through the same Central Office. It doesn't make sense that every department that creates these deliverables does so using different templates and policies. The money saved by centralization could be put toward pay consistency and there would still be a surplus leftover with the lower attrition rate.

2. "An exciting ivory tower, but an ivory tower nonetheless..."

Pros

Some of the brightest and best students and faculty on a global basis, so the inspirational value is high and there's a great sense of being at the leading edge of thought in many domains.
    The world outside shows great respect for a Harvard background.
    There is great freedom to structure your own time, but great pressure to perform without much detailed support re: how to get better. Harvard expects you to take the initiative.

Cons

The professional schools at Harvard focus less on contributing to the profession through the subsequent work of students, and more on published ideas of faculty as reviewed by other faculty around the globe. So, ultimately, this is faculty talking to faculty rather than staying closely connected to and influential with the world of practitioners. Too much faculty politics, too little real-world engagement, education, and career support.

Advice to Management

The world of research and education is shifting. As a global "network," Harvard needs to adjust, especially to keep it's faculty from remaining too self-focused and not enough connected to a dramatically changing world of practice.