Hastings Entertainment - I can't believe they cut workforce so much as to continually deny me a 5 min. break after 6 hours! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

"I can't believe they cut workforce so much as to continually deny me a 5 min. break after 6 hours!"

Current Employee - Cashier & Customer Service in Mountain Home, AR
Current Employee - Cashier & Customer Service in Mountain Home, AR

Pros

Availability of company health insurance plan after 90 days.

Cons

Management pay is so low that they have cruel folks in management that are allowed to continue because it saves the company a few bucks in payroll!

Advice to Management

Stop trumpeting that most cruel fiction that oh, yes, our sales are down, but the way we are going to turn that around is by letting our happiness be more evident...it will rub off on john q. customer and they will want to spend more time in our store and thus part with more cash... Your suggestive selling is so horrible to push us flunkies to push a product that is over priced. That is...a coke that is no more than a dollar in a machine is a mere $ 1.69 at Hastings !

Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment

"Like the Devil drawing a line in the sand and asking you to step over it."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Employee discount
    Great Co-workers
    Cool products
    Rental Membership

Cons

Poor communication
    Too many hours (48+ a week)
    Lack of corporate accountability
    Lack of corporate leadership
    Lack of district leadership
    Dark Ages leadership mentality
    Unrealistic goals
    No positive feedback
    Excessive favoritism

Advice to Management

Put more attention in your employees. Take the time to notice what they do and what they contribute. And take your head out of your wallet and realize that with continued "Wage Freezes" you are going to lose great people. With the poor leadership in your local districts and with your distric leaders conflicting information and zero accountability, you are going to continue to lose great associates. Great job, promoting and parading idiots.
    It would be very helpful to your company, when, during a corporate visit, your executives actually speak to the associates and stop walking around with scowls on their face. It would also improve moral greatly if you acknowledged the contributions the store staff made, instead of merely pointing our what they are "NOT DOING". Its quite tragic, when you assess the level of accountability on the corporate scale. You are always asking more from the store, but never giving anything more than a passable attitude to it all. Take care of your people, or you'll have none left.

2. "Sound And Fury, signifying Nothing"

Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX

Pros

-Generally Hardworking, decent coworkers
    -Decent Insurance/401k
    -Interesting Product line
    -Good Coffee in HBCs
    -fair and flexible with scheduling (kinda have to be, stores get no hours)

Cons

-Poor staffing due to incredibly tight Labor Cost formula
    -Divisive desires;Expectations of 'excellent customer service' AND '100% on-time completion of all Tasks' with minimal staff
    - Most upper Management (i.e., Above DMs) Condescending and rude, unresponsive even hostile to questions or suggestions, seem to be, despite regular store visits, out of touch with the realities store level. Worse, they seem not to care.

Advice to Management

Read the commentary in these postings, they will show you the way...
    Do more than pay lip service to employee satisfaction. Happy workers, who know their Ideas and Ideals, their work and well-being are truly respected and valued makes for a better company
    --the pay freeze has gone on too long, while Execs continue to get their bonuses