Hastings Entertainment - The people are great but... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

"The people are great but..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

Pros

It is one of those jobs where if you did not love what you were doing it would be an absolute waste of time. A majority of the time I worked for Hastings I loved coming to work and hanging out with the people who worked there as well. The job was not designed to be a difficult one although due to the graces of our corporate overlords they decided to make it so. I suppose to answer the question correctly though I would have to say the best reasons to work there are for the people you meet in doing so.

Cons

The corporate management is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Allow your stores a bit more freedom. We are the ones that actually know what is going on, not you guys in the big office buildings.

Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment

1. "Hastings"

Current Employee - Guest Service Manager in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Guest Service Manager in Flagstaff, AZ

Pros

The people you work with are usually very fun. The discount, while it continues to decrease, is sometimes good.

Cons

The corporation, like most don't seem to care who is working in their stores. There is no trust between employer and employee. Managers are encouraged to distance themselves from workers, and not take any interest in them. Hastings used to be a little chain where college kids could work, and their love of music, books, and movies made them excellent sales people. The more corporate the stores get, the less genuine the feel of the stores seem to be. It's not a little hometown chain of stores anymore and i think that's sad.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people who work in your stores.

2. "Can be good for students."

Former Employee - Guest Service Associate in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Associate in Amarillo, TX

Pros

Flexible schedule, and their is a variation of work

Cons

Corporate employees came in and would write people up for doing what they were supposed to. Employees are supposed to approach every customer within ten feet and offer help. I did this to someone from corporate and I got in trouble because they said I bugged them. I just said "can I help you find something!"

Advice to Management

Develop a philosophy and stick to it. Also, promote from within more...many of the guest service managers were very rude and even yelled at employees a couple of times even though many of the associates know more about the work because they have been there longer